Boomilever B/C

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by TheSquaad »

Vstorm34 wrote:
Cow481 wrote:Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to just drill a hole and gorilla glue the tension pieces to the dowel rod?
If the tension is a square piece of wood and not round then using a drilled hole will reduce the surface area of the joint. A notch will a allow for more coverage since the flat edges will have more contact with the wood.
What if you rounded the end of the tension member so it was flush with the drilled hole
Vstorm34
Division: C
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Vstorm34 »

TheSquaad wrote:
Vstorm34 wrote:
Cow481 wrote:Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to just drill a hole and gorilla glue the tension pieces to the dowel rod?
If the tension is a square piece of wood and not round then using a drilled hole will reduce the surface area of the joint. A notch will a allow for more coverage since the flat edges will have more contact with the wood.
What if you rounded the end of the tension member so it was flush with the drilled hole
That's definitely possible. Though depending on the starting thickness of the wood, sanding too much off to create a perfect circle might leave that end much more brittle than the rest of the piece. If that happens then the tension will just break instead of the joint failing.
FermiGod

Post by FermiGod »

out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

FermiGod wrote:out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious
If a tension member ever broke, I’d put balsa strips on all 4 sides of the break to re-straighten it, as though it were a cast.

A better solution for competitions is just bring 2 boomis.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

FermiGod wrote:out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious
Boy, this is what I'd have to call a "Catastrophic Failure." If your tension rod goes on one side, I'm not even sure it could carry the 3kg to keep you in Tier 1. If it were broken at the competition I guess you'd have no choice but to patch as recommended by squaad... but if it happened before a competition, i'd be rebuilding from scratch.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

dholdgreve wrote:
Boy, this is what I'd have to call a "Catastrophic Failure." If your tension rod goes on one side, I'm not even sure it could carry the 3kg to keep you in Tier 1. If it were broken at the competition I guess you'd have no choice but to patch as recommended by squaad... but if it happened before a competition, i'd be rebuilding from scratch.
Also a reson why backup boomilevers are important
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!
Deleted
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

DarthBuilder wrote:If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!
Rip stick-holders' knees.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

PM2017 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!
Yes big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stop the teams from continuing to load?
Last edited by MadCow2357 on January 12th, 2019, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

MadCow2357 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Yes big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stopping the team from continuing to load?
While I was talking to the few supervisors during a time slot I believe it was the same reason as Centerville. They wanted to see how booms would last in a long period of time. So they removed the 6 minute rule but everything went smoothly and finished on time.
Deleted

Return to “Boomilever B/C”