Boomilever B/C

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote:
TheMadScientist wrote:You mean that it is ok to leave the last 5 cm of the boom without bracing at all? I was thinking it would drive down the score since booms would snap at the 5 cm point away from the distal end... or is that why the tension members are so important??
From my experience, yes, it is okay to leave the last 5 cm without bracing. Normal x bracing, that is. I had a breakage in the last 5 cm on my third boomilever, and I ended up adding two ladder pieces to help take some load. I also rotated my main compression members (rectangular) so that they were longer vertically. Haven't that kind of breakage since, so I suppose what I did helps. If you want @TheMadScientist PM and I can send you a picture or two of what I changed.
Well someone took my username...(Kinda. Welcome to the forums :) ) From my experience you should focus more on the distal ends if you want results so I wouldn't panic over the bracings yet...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

TheChiScientist wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
TheMadScientist wrote:You mean that it is ok to leave the last 5 cm of the boom without bracing at all? I was thinking it would drive down the score since booms would snap at the 5 cm point away from the distal end... or is that why the tension members are so important??
From my experience, yes, it is okay to leave the last 5 cm without bracing. Normal x bracing, that is. I had a breakage in the last 5 cm on my third boomilever, and I ended up adding two ladder pieces to help take some load. I also rotated my main compression members (rectangular) so that they were longer vertically. Haven't that kind of breakage since, so I suppose what I did helps. If you want @TheMadScientist PM and I can send you a picture or two of what I changed.
Well someone took my username...(Kinda. Welcome to the forums :) ) From my experience you should focus more on the distal ends if you want results so I wouldn't panic over the bracings yet...

I would think you shouldn’t just leave out the bracings but there should definitely be a balance. But the bracings should be strong enough to allow some warp I guess. If it’s too thin/weak it would snap.
Deleted
musicalwhang
Division: C
State: NC

Post by musicalwhang »

I am unsure of the specs of the J-bolt listed on the rules. https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardwar ... B000BO54X8
Can anyone who has this confirm that the length from the wall to the inner part of the "J" is about 4.5 cm? (2.5 cm opening plus an inch of just the "J"?)
Carrot
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

musicalwhang wrote:I am unsure of the specs of the J-bolt listed on the rules. https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardwar ... B000BO54X8
Can anyone who has this confirm that the length from the wall to the inner part of the "J" is about 4.5 cm? (2.5 cm opening plus an inch of just the "J"?)
Yeah, it's like like 4.5cm +/- .1
musicalwhang

Post by musicalwhang »

Would a 1/4" diameter wooden dowel at 3cm suffice butt-jointed between 2 bass tension members at 1/8x1/16?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

musicalwhang wrote:Would a 1/4" diameter wooden dowel at 3cm suffice butt-jointed between 2 bass tension members at 1/8x1/16?
Would it suffice? Likely not, but depends on your goals and what your design is. Try increasing the surface area on the tension member...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

A better way would be to very carefully cut grooves in the end of the dowel that will just fit the tension members . I used Devthane 5, but a good epoxy will work well.
The real trick of this is to get the two end cuts to be perfectly parallel. If it is not, re cut a new piece. The joint will withstand a great amount of abuse and still not fail.
musicalwhang

Post by musicalwhang »

Thank you for the responses. Another question: I was wondering what the trusses that connect the tension members and compression members do for the boom. Some designs have it but some don't.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

musicalwhang wrote:Thank you for the responses. Another question: I was wondering what the trusses that connect the tension members and compression members do for the boom. Some designs have it but some don't.
They have two purposes:
1. Preventing the boom from "splitting open".
2. Prevent buckling along the compression member
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

MadCow2357 wrote:
musicalwhang wrote:Thank you for the responses. Another question: I was wondering what the trusses that connect the tension members and compression members do for the boom. Some designs have it but some don't.
They have two purposes:
1. Preventing the boom from "splitting open".
2. Prevent buckling along the compression member
yea ^^that
and prevent the whole boomi from collapsing because it's too much pressure downwards for the chords to handle
also to make the boomi firm and prevent it from wobbling side to side
just adds support overall like you dont see real life cranes with no trusses at all
builder cult vp // #treegang

Return to “Boomilever B/C”