Boomilever B/C

Cow481
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Cow481 »

I currently am using a 1/4” dowel rod spanning 5 centimeters. I made a groove in the center for the j hook to grip on and it was about 4.5 g. Is 4.5 grams to much weight or should I for something lighter?
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Cow481 wrote:I currently am using a 1/4” dowel rod spanning 5 centimeters. I made a groove in the center for the j hook to grip on and it was about 4.5 g. Is 4.5 grams to much weight or should I for something lighter?
That has to be an extremely dense rod for it to weigh 4.5 grams at 1/4”. I’d go for a lighter density with a greater diameter to compensate
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Cow481 wrote:I currently am using a 1/4” dowel rod spanning 5 centimeters. I made a groove in the center for the j hook to grip on and it was about 4.5 g. Is 4.5 grams to much weight or should I for something lighter?
I think you will need to get the dowel under a gram to be competitive.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Cow481

Post by Cow481 »

I’ll try to do that becuase right now i’m just trying to get a feel for this event since i think this is the second time my school doing it. What shape would you recommend, a quarter dowel, half dowel, something similar to 2013... etc.
Medals

National Medals
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
retired1
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

Remember that the dowel does not have to be the 5 cm apart at the hook. 3/8" to 1.2 " should lighten it considerably. The angle formed is not huge, so it will have a minimal effect on the 2 tension members and what they will hold.
Cow481

Post by Cow481 »

Thanks for the tip, thats going to help lower the weight significantly
Medals

National Medals
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

What type of clamps do you guys buy to apply pressure on the boom during gluing? Also, where can these be bought?
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

TheChiScientist wrote:What type of clamps do you guys buy to apply pressure on the boom during gluing? Also, where can these be bought?
We don't used "clamps" other than the ones attached to our hands... If you use the purple cyanoacrylate glue, it sets in 30 seconds or less.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

dholdgreve wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:What type of clamps do you guys buy to apply pressure on the boom during gluing? Also, where can these be bought?
We don't used "clamps" other than the ones attached to our hands... If you use the purple cyanoacrylate glue, it sets in 30 seconds or less.
I think he means the ones used for holding gorilla glued pieces in place (for example the base). I'm gonna be using my mini Dewalt clips, IDK if they're going to work though.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:
I think he means the ones used for holding gorilla glued pieces in place (for example the base). I'm gonna be using my mini Dewalt clips, IDK if they're going to work though.
Yup. I am using a special solution adhesive that's sorta like gorilla glue. Insanely strong and light. Problem is that it needs to set over the course of 30 mins. :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “Boomilever B/C”