Boomilever B/C

DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by DarthBuilder »

So on my booms I usually mark where bracings should go, write down the weights on the wood, and sometimes words on them. Just to verify, but am I allowed to do this?
Deleted
RobertYL
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by RobertYL »

DarthBuilder wrote:So on my booms I usually mark where bracings should go, write down the weights on the wood, and sometimes words on them. Just to verify, but am I allowed to do this?
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. It's not like pen ink/pencil lead adds any structural strength, and even if it did, it's minimal at best.
Lilliankg16NHHS
Division: C
State: WI

Post by Lilliankg16NHHS »

Does anyone know if its better to use Normal Gorilla glue or Wood Gorilla glue when building? I'm trying to get a shopping list together for this season =D
Nathan Hale High School

Team Captain 2019-2020
Team Member since 2018-2019

2019 Events - Forensics, Experimental Design, Boomilever, Food Science, Write it - Do it
2020 Events -
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Lilliankg16NHHS wrote:Does anyone know if its better to use Normal Gorilla glue or Wood Gorilla glue when building? I'm trying to get a shopping list together for this season =D
Do the test. glue up some representative joints with each of your candidate glues, hang a bucket from each, and add sand until failure.
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Lilliankg16NHHS wrote:Does anyone know if its better to use Normal Gorilla glue or Wood Gorilla glue when building? I'm trying to get a shopping list together for this season =D
I once asked somebody this question and they said to use normal gorilla glue but try them and see what you need it for, then decide which one you want.... i hope thats helpful..
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

ok so yeah this is what the person said:

"Original Gorilla Glue (light brown, foam up)
Clear Gorilla Glue (no foam) (we use this)

Not wood glue, not super glue"
this is what i go by soo yeah it depends on where and how you wanna use it... i hope i helped...
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

I personally don't use gorrila glue for my builds, but when I taught towers/bridges at camp, we bought it bc it's cheaper and the bottles don't screw up as easily.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
FermiGod

Post by FermiGod »

I use mod podge
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

I'd suggest you match the glue with the specific joint use... We use both Gorilla Glue (the Polyurethane type that foams) as well as the medium viscosity Jet Super Glue (cyanoacrylate). Using a foaming glue may not be a good choice for applying gussets, as it will just push the gusset away as it foams up, but there are other places within the boom where this is actually an advantage of the glue. The cyanoacrylate glue will become brittle as it ages. We keep track of the build date, and do not use them in competition after 60 days.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

dholdgreve wrote:I'd suggest you match the glue with the specific joint use... We use both Gorilla Glue (the Polyurethane type that foams) as well as the medium viscosity Jet Super Glue (cyanoacrylate). Using a foaming glue may not be a good choice for applying gussets, as it will just push the gusset away as it foams up, but there are other places within the boom where this is actually an advantage of the glue. The cyanoacrylate glue will become brittle as it ages. We keep track of the build date, and do not use them in competition after 60 days.

I tend to agree. I think many glues can actually work well for boomi. We have always stuck (pun intended) with CA and have had really good success even at the highest levels of competition. Focus on design and precision of the build then worry about the weight of the glue (assuming that the glue is holding the weight it needs to).

Return to “Boomilever B/C”