Boomilever B/C

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Boomilever B/C

Postby TheSquaad » January 5th, 2019, 8:56 am

Vstorm34 wrote:
Cow481 wrote:Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to just drill a hole and gorilla glue the tension pieces to the dowel rod?

If the tension is a square piece of wood and not round then using a drilled hole will reduce the surface area of the joint. A notch will a allow for more coverage since the flat edges will have more contact with the wood.

What if you rounded the end of the tension member so it was flush with the drilled hole

Vstorm34
Division: C
State: VA

Postby Vstorm34 » January 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
Vstorm34 wrote:
Cow481 wrote:Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to just drill a hole and gorilla glue the tension pieces to the dowel rod?

If the tension is a square piece of wood and not round then using a drilled hole will reduce the surface area of the joint. A notch will a allow for more coverage since the flat edges will have more contact with the wood.

What if you rounded the end of the tension member so it was flush with the drilled hole

That's definitely possible. Though depending on the starting thickness of the wood, sanding too much off to create a perfect circle might leave that end much more brittle than the rest of the piece. If that happens then the tension will just break instead of the joint failing.

FermiGod

Postby FermiGod » January 9th, 2019, 7:36 am

out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » January 10th, 2019, 5:06 am

FermiGod wrote:out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious

If a tension member ever broke, I’d put balsa strips on all 4 sides of the break to re-straighten it, as though it were a cast.

A better solution for competitions is just bring 2 boomis.

dholdgreve
Division: B

Postby dholdgreve » January 11th, 2019, 1:31 pm

FermiGod wrote:out of curiosity, if a boomilever is built and ready to go but somehow the tension arm cracks and is wiggly what would be the best option? im wondering because i know in other balsa events people just bring extra wood and just pop it out but for boomilever you cant really take out the tension pieces. This is just an if scenario but im curious

Boy, this is what I'd have to call a "Catastrophic Failure." If your tension rod goes on one side, I'm not even sure it could carry the 3kg to keep you in Tier 1. If it were broken at the competition I guess you'd have no choice but to patch as recommended by squaad... but if it happened before a competition, i'd be rebuilding from scratch.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Cow481 » January 11th, 2019, 4:52 pm

dholdgreve wrote:

Boy, this is what I'd have to call a "Catastrophic Failure." If your tension rod goes on one side, I'm not even sure it could carry the 3kg to keep you in Tier 1. If it were broken at the competition I guess you'd have no choice but to patch as recommended by squaad... but if it happened before a competition, i'd be rebuilding from scratch.

Also a reson why backup boomilevers are important
2017 Events: JV Tower, JV Bottle Rocket
2018 Events: V Tower, V Mystery Architecture, JV Herpetology
2019 Events: V Boomilever, V Elastic Launched Glider, V Mystery Architecture

Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1 :D

National Medals
Towers 2018: 5th

DarthBuilder
State: IL

Postby DarthBuilder » January 12th, 2019, 2:33 pm

If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!
Deleted

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » January 12th, 2019, 4:41 pm

DarthBuilder wrote:If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!

Rip stick-holders' knees.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » January 12th, 2019, 7:08 pm

PM2017 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!

Yes big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stop the teams from continuing to load?
Last edited by MadCow2357 on January 12th, 2019, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

DarthBuilder

Postby DarthBuilder » January 12th, 2019, 7:31 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

Yes big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stopping the team from continuing to load?

While I was talking to the few supervisors during a time slot I believe it was the same reason as Centerville. They wanted to see how booms would last in a long period of time. So they removed the 6 minute rule but everything went smoothly and finished on time.
Deleted

parikhy

Postby parikhy » January 13th, 2019, 11:38 am

Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

If not, what wood should we buy? We are only using balsa right now but we could buy bass wood if it would help.

In division C, by the way.
Last edited by parikhy on January 13th, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » January 13th, 2019, 11:50 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

Yes, big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stop the teams from continuing to load?

Oh, the stick-holder wasn't nearly in as much pain as the person pushing down on the bootleg lever to release the sand at a rate of 1kg per minute...
Also sucked for our cameraman as he had to get a good angle to get us a 52 min slow-mo video after recording for 10 minutes straight. :lol:
Oh, also my boom held 10kg so my hands are still sore from holding down that lever for 10 minutes straight... :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » January 13th, 2019, 12:52 pm

parikhy wrote:Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

If not, what wood should we buy? We are only using balsa right now but we could buy bass wood if it would help.

It all depends on bracing, but in normal cases 1/8 square is definitely not enough. At least 1/4" by 1/8" is needed for the main compression beams. I wouldn't go over 1/16" square for bracing.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

sciencecat42

Postby sciencecat42 » January 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
parikhy wrote:Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

It all depends on bracing, but in normal cases 1/8 square is definitely not enough. At least 1/4" by 1/8" is needed for the main compression beams. I wouldn't go over 1/16" square for bracing.

Depends on design. If you are only using 2 main compression sticks, 1/8" is not enough. However for box designs (4 sticks), it is sufficient.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » January 13th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

Return to “Boomilever B/C”