Interpretation of 3e

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 692
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: Suffering in a college class

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by TheChiScientist » September 11th, 2018, 4:56 pm

triangulator wrote:I think i found a loophole.

Since no portion can touch the testing wall, one could attach a piece of wood extending to the floor.

If anyone actually did it, though, the boomilever would probably not qualify as a boomilever, and that length would probably weigh a lot. Also, they would have to know distance to the floor beforehand.
Lol. :lol: I think they took that into account when the rules were made.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

waffletree
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: March 28th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by waffletree » September 12th, 2018, 5:48 am

TheChiScientist wrote:
triangulator wrote:I think i found a loophole.

Since no portion can touch the testing wall, one could attach a piece of wood extending to the floor.

If anyone actually did it, though, the boomilever would probably not qualify as a boomilever, and that length would probably weigh a lot. Also, they would have to know distance to the floor beforehand.
Lol. :lol: I think they took that into account when the rules were made.
Haha yea that's definitely not worth the effort
but imagine if every team came in with super long boomilevers that reached the floor
builder cult vp // #treegang

baker
Member
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: October 26th, 2005, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by baker » September 12th, 2018, 5:27 pm

dholdgreve wrote: Another clarification that needs made is where is the hook distance from wall measured. Yes, it says 2.5 cm, but is that from the actual distal end of the metal, or is it from the inside face of the apex of the hook? If it is inside face of hook apex, it will be difficult (i.e. impossible) to hook a boom to it without first removing the hook. I believe the intent is from the actual hook end of metal, but there will be someone, somewhere that will not interpret it that way. This will drastically effect the design and angle of the booms.

J bolt installations guide lines from National page...
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... lation.pdf

baker
Member
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: October 26th, 2005, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by baker » September 12th, 2018, 5:31 pm

If it says max 15 cm, build to 14.5 cm. It will give you room to make adjustments. Same for 20 cm go 19.5 cm. Make it easy for event super...

baker
Member
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: October 26th, 2005, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by baker » September 12th, 2018, 5:37 pm

J bolt specs.
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ns2014.pdf

If you read the 2014 logs (OMG, I sound like Balsa Man) you will find a 1/2 in dia dowel fits the inside of the hook. Use your imagination.

triangulator
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Division: B

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by triangulator » September 24th, 2018, 6:32 pm

If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
Science: It makes the world go round...
Wait, or is that wheels? I can never remember.
:cry: balsa man :cry: he made the little people build...

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4195
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by Unome » September 24th, 2018, 8:10 pm

triangulator wrote:If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
I suspect that you may be looking at past rules. As far as I can tell, neither division has multiple hooks this year.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2018
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by bernard » September 24th, 2018, 8:11 pm

baker wrote:
dholdgreve wrote: Another clarification that needs made is where is the hook distance from wall measured. Yes, it says 2.5 cm, but is that from the actual distal end of the metal, or is it from the inside face of the apex of the hook? If it is inside face of hook apex, it will be difficult (i.e. impossible) to hook a boom to it without first removing the hook. I believe the intent is from the actual hook end of metal, but there will be someone, somewhere that will not interpret it that way. This will drastically effect the design and angle of the booms.

J bolt installations guide lines from National page...
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... lation.pdf
The diagram you have linked is for the 2014 season. The Testing Wall diagrams for this season are now posted on the national website's event page.
triangulator wrote:If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
The diagram linked above is from a past season. There is only one Mounting Hook this season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 381
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by bearasauras » September 24th, 2018, 8:17 pm

And we all have Bernard to thank for the beautiful diagrams!

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 223
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by knightmoves » October 4th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Unome wrote:
retired1 wrote:OK, I see said the blind man. If I understand you. you would like the 20 to read 20.000 and the rest would be OK???
Simply removing the "more than" part would leave nothing ambiguous at all. Although it's unlikely for anyone familiar with SO to interpret it incorrectly except by purposeful effort, as written it may be ambiguous to someone new to SO who doesn't think about it.
As I read the rules, it is acceptable for an ES to bring a boomilever support with the CDL drawn 25cm below the j-hook, and use it for both B and C divisions. (25cm is both more than 15cm and more than 20cm...). This would give an advantage to anyone familiar with the ES in question and his "generous" apparatus. A reasonable ES will not so this. Not all ES are reasonable.

A rule fix would be to remove the words "more than" and make the distances 15.0cm and 20.0cm, requiring the CDL to be marked on the apparatus to the nearest mm. This is what appears on the diagrams on the website.

Locked

Return to “Boomilever B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest