Wood

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Wood

Post by MadCow2357 »

I'm ordering my wood very soon, and I've come to the conclusion that I should order balsa and bass. Since boomilevers need to withstand more force, I'm gonna guess that the wood has to be stronger (and thus heavier). Any ideas on how heavy the wood should be?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
waffletree
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wood

Post by waffletree »

MadCow2357 wrote:I'm ordering my wood very soon, and I've come to the conclusion that I should order balsa and bass. Since boomilevers need to withstand more force, I'm gonna guess that the wood has to be stronger (and thus heavier). Any ideas on how heavy the wood should be?
I'm doing medium or light balsa for the x's and medium or heavy balsa for the tension and compression chords.
builder cult vp // #treegang
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

I think that is sort of the entire point of this event, isn't it?.. Figuring out just how light you can go based on your unique design? What fun would it be if everyone showed up with the same design, using the same density of wood?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Anybody know what the tensile strength of bass parallel to the grain is (I'm looking for a numerical value, by the way)? I'm trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to use bass, even just for the tension members.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MadCow2357 wrote:Anybody know what the tensile strength of bass parallel to the grain is (I'm looking for a numerical value, by the way)? I'm trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to use bass, even just for the tension members.
I don't know exact numbers, but I'm fairly certain balsa is stronger per unit mass. I believe the reason bass is often used in the Boomilever tension members is because it has less variation in strength, so with balsa it would be difficult to know whether your particular piece has a weak spot in it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

yo long time no see frand, waffletree
yeah so we are considering balsa and bass
testing with balsa rn to see how it goes
you're doing x's for what im assuming is a rectangular like shape
have you considered triangles for a triangular like shape?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Unome wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Anybody know what the tensile strength of bass parallel to the grain is (I'm looking for a numerical value, by the way)? I'm trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to use bass, even just for the tension members.
I don't know exact numbers, but I'm fairly certain balsa is stronger per unit mass. I believe the reason bass is often used in the Boomilever tension members is because it has less variation in strength, so with balsa it would be difficult to know whether your particular piece has a weak spot in it.
Send me the size, shape and pounds/cu ft and I will try to send numbers.
An amazing fact is that 24 # balsa and bass wood are nearly identical. In tension, the bass wood will probably beat similar weight balsa as you can find it with very straight grain. In compression, the greater bulk for the same weight will normally work better.
K-latte

Post by K-latte »

Where do you guys get your wood from? I want to try to use bass wood for tension bars (I tend to use 1/8*1/16 for that purpose) but don't know where to get it from.
waffletree

Post by waffletree »

K-latte wrote:Where do you guys get your wood from? I want to try to use bass wood for tension bars (I tend to use 1/8*1/16 for that purpose) but don't know where to get it from.
if you want good balsa, I'd buy from specializedbalsa.com. For basswood, you might want to try shop.balsausa.com or nationalbalsa.com
builder cult vp // #treegang
K-latte

Post by K-latte »

Awesome. I usually get my balsa from specialized, but I will check out the other two.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”