glue

ylee1026
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

glue

Post by ylee1026 »

What is the best brand for glue and what type?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: glue

Post by Unome »

Cyanoacrylate glue is the best type for almost all applications in the SO structure events. I have heard that thin CA is more effective, but medium viscosity is much easier to work with.

Edit: refer to the post below for some more specifics
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Bob Smith Industries CA. Blue and Purple are both good, but for balsa events, use blue (less viscous)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
ylee1026

Post by ylee1026 »

Thank you so much! Loving this Community!
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

A lot of glue choice is personal preferences. I like 50/50 Duco on both sides of the joint followed by a thin coat of full strength on one piece. It is strong and a tiny bit less weight. The negative is the drying time.
A long time ago one of the students used a regular strength CA glue. I told him that it was not a great choice as I think that it was thicker back then. At regional his tower broke because a couple of joints peeled back 1 or 2 layers of growth rings. They were very tightly stuck on the other piece. The solution was I mixed regular CA with thin CA which would penetrate deeper.
One solution to the use of thin is to put a small drop of it on aluminum foil and then dip or rub one of the sticks in the drop. No runs and good penetration.. If you use a puddle vs a drop, it will go bad in a few minutes and not work as well.

Generic CA often times has too much variability from one lot to another, so use good stuff.

In model airplanes there is a general consensus that the use of accelerator will slightly reduce the strength of the joint. But there are places where that is not important and it sure speeds things up.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”