PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by TheChiScientist »

Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise for Div. C?
Last edited by TheChiScientist on January 27th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson, and New Trier. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise?
In two weeks UMich invite will take place with all the top Michigan teams. I think that should shed light on Michigan booms then. As of now I'd say that top Division C are around 1200 and B are around 1600
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
TheChiScientist

Chameleon02 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise?
In two weeks UMich invite will take place with all the top Michigan teams. I think that should shed light on Michigan booms then. As of now I'd say that top Division C are around 1200 and B are around 1700
Interesting. So I'm not the only person struggling to get a Boom score above 1k? I think if any team reaches a score of 2k they could easily medal at Nats.
Given how boom works and seeing some top team Booms/mass I'd say the lightest boom will be around 7.5g with max load at Nats seeing how any lighter means having a lighter/weaker density wood which is rather risky.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise?
In two weeks UMich invite will take place with all the top Michigan teams. I think that should shed light on Michigan booms then. As of now I'd say that top Division C are around 1200 and B are around 1700
Interesting. So I'm not the only person struggling to get a Boom score above 1k? I think if any team reaches a score of 2k they could easily medal at Nats.
Given how boom works and seeing some top team Booms/mass I'd say the lightest boom will be around 7.5g with max load at Nats seeing how any lighter means having a lighter/weaker density wood which is rather risky.
Reading your posts make me feel so much better. Our head coach claims that we need 2000 before our March 16th state tournament to do well.
TheChiScientist

OpticsNerd wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote: In two weeks UMich invite will take place with all the top Michigan teams. I think that should shed light on Michigan booms then. As of now I'd say that top Division C are around 1200 and B are around 1700
Reading your posts make me feel so much better. Our head coach claims that we need 2000 before our March 16th state tournament to do well.
2k is insane! As far as I'm aware of no one in the country has broken the 2k point in Div. C for Boom! It will require the perfect wood to result in a high enough efficiency. :(
OpticsNerd

Post by OpticsNerd »

TheChiScientist wrote:
OpticsNerd wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: Interesting. So I'm not the only person struggling to get a Boom score above 1k? I think if any team reaches a score of 2k they could easily medal at Nats.
2k is insane! As far as I'm aware of no one in the country has broken the 2k point in Div. C for Boom! It will require the perfect wood to result in a high enough efficiency. :(
For towers yes, you DO need 2000 at state to place well. But Boomilever is different; you have way more force on the parts of your Boomilever, resulting in more things that could go wrong.
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote:
Are you talking about div c or b, there are a couple teams over 2000 for div b right now so nats placement should be like 2300-2700
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
OpticsNerd

Post by OpticsNerd »

Cow481 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote: In two weeks UMich invite will take place with all the top Michigan teams. I think that should shed light on Michigan booms then. As of now I'd say that top Division C are around 1200 and B are around 1700
Are you talking about div c or b, there are a couple teams over 2000 for div b right now so nats placement should be like 2300-2700
He's talking about div c...
It's way harder because our Booms need to be lower which means more force. Div c nationals 2014 1st place was 2300, but making top 6 only required something like 1500. I think there were only two teams that got over 2000.
stevieb711
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by stevieb711 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise for Div. C?
At Conestoga Invitational top C score was 1300 and top 5 was around 1000
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

stevieb711 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Right now I've seen many teams trying to replicate Boomilever designs that our team uses, along with Stevenson. It's hilarious how they think copying our designs is all there is to it as they have been getting sub 400 scores while top teams in IL are maintaining 800+ scores. So far I'd say the average competitive boom score in IL is in the 700-1800 range. How are supercompetitive states like PA, OH, TX, CA, and MI looking score wise for Div. C?
At Conestoga Invitational top C score was 1300 and top 5 was around 1000
Officially the top score at MIT was a bit over 1600.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”