PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Rossyspsce

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by Rossyspsce »

scioly2345 wrote:
knightmoves wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote: The bolt was 2.5in, but they had accounted for a 3in bolt which was used at every competition, as far as I could tell, so they could not load block, and wingnut in the bolt
This year's rules do not specify a minimum length for the eyebolt, which means that building a design where you thread the shaft of the eyebolt through a hole in your boomilever runs the risk of having this happen - you encounter a legal test setup that doesn't leave space for you to insert your device between the loading block and the eye of the bolt.

I'm sure I've seen at least one setup this year with no spare space at all - the eye of the bolt was right up against the loading block, and there was maybe one thread protruding from the top of the wingnut.

I may as well note that I've seen some pretty chunky S-hooks in use - I've seen a few devices where the 1" eyebolt fit comfortably, but teams were struggling to get the S-hook in place. A maximum dimension is not specified for the S-hook and chain, and probably should be.
How did they still test and get 1700s with this problem?
Sorry I keep asking questions on this I’m just curious lol
They tested without block and were told it would be ok. Then tiere 3-ed during award ceremony
Girlpower05
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Girlpower05 »

I was able to make a 7.3 g practice boomilever that held 17.8 kg and didn't break :). I replicated the design for my States boom, but unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the wood was weak at one point :(, resulting in it breaking at a mere 4 kg. :cry: :cry: :cry: This was a huge disappointment, especially after figuring out a high-performing design.
Vstorm34
Division: C
State: VA

Post by Vstorm34 »

Girlpower05 wrote:I was able to make a 7.3 g practice boomilever that held 17.8 kg and didn't break :). I replicated the design for my States boom, but unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the wood was weak at one point :(, resulting in it breaking at a mere 4 kg. :cry: :cry: :cry: This was a huge disappointment, especially after figuring out a high-performing design.
Worst feeling ever. I was consistently getting 1500+ in practice with 8g booms, but only got like 600 at States :cry:
lucky

Post by lucky »

Not totally sure where you guys got the information from but: https://washingtonscienceolympiad.com/s ... ghline.pdf

Interlake actually got first :D and third in Boomilever, with Bothell coming in second. First place had a score of ~1360, third place around 900? I think.

Interesting note, Bothell beat Camas by 1 point, if Camas didn't get tiered then they would have gone to nats for sure.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Kind of a RIP though because we had 1800 scores in practice but we only got 1360.

Our design was a box design with two wide but thin compression members and some bracing.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

lucky wrote:Not totally sure where you guys got the information from but: https://washingtonscienceolympiad.com/s ... ghline.pdf

Interlake actually got first :D and third in Boomilever, with Bothell coming in second. First place had a score of ~1360, third place around 900? I think.

Interesting note, Bothell beat Camas by 1 point, if Camas didn't get tiered then they would have gone to nats for sure.
big rip to Camas. I thought Bothell was going to nats from the beginning, but didn't expect it in this fashion. I was at state, competing for a different team, and didn't they throw out boomi in div b for a similar reason?
lucky

Post by lucky »

for real though for camas

what do you mean by throw out
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Throw out = treat the event as a trial (ie. don't count the scores towards the overall team score).

This happens from time to time, when something went seriously wrong with the running of the event, so that the arbitrators decide that including it in the final score is not fair. Could be because not all teams were treated equally (eg. giving one time block 40 minutes to take a test and the others 50 minutes) or because the ES butchered the event rules enough that the event wasn't anything like what the teams had prepared for. Someone earlier in the year talked about an invitational where the ES was weighing boomilevers on a bathroom scale. That would certainly be enough to throw the event out - they were essentially assigning random numbers to the boomilever mass.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

So... Inquiring minds want to know... What was winning B / C scores at Nats and what did it take to medal?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
mklinger
State: MI

Post by mklinger »

My daughter's team (Ann Arbor Pioneer from Michigan) came in 3rd place at Nationals, Division C with a score of 2135.7.

7.00 g
14.95 kg

We were very happy with our result! We also came in 5th overall which is very impressive for us as
this is the first time we've been to Nationals in 25 years!

As for the boomi itself, it was a fairly standard design. Nothing too fancy, but extremely well optimized
material selection and build precision. For the season, our team has built well over 100 devices.

Marc

Return to “Boomilever B/C”