Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by waffletree »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Kragy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkeQg-7gjQ

V5 Boomilever Test. Bass wood tension members. Balsa wood compression members. 1/8 square main members. 1/16 square bracing members. The Boomilever held approximately 3kg and it broke at the compression members. How can make the compression members better? Should I focus on the reinforcement of the compression members or the wood selection of the compression members? Sorry about the watermark.
1. Why is your loading block set on an angle?
2. It mighta been just me, but I saw the whole boomilever being pulled forward by the weight. Is your testing base secured properly?
3. 1/8" is not enough. I would go with 1/4" square if you are just starting out. Bracing depends on the thickness of your main compression columns and what your intervals are.
Nah it's not just you - I also saw the wall move forward
builder cult vp // #treegang
Kragy

Post by Kragy »

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. I now plan on using 1/4 balsa for the 2 compression members and sticking with my 1/8 bass wood for tension. However I have a question. Since the thicknesses of the two sticks are different, connecting the tension and compression members using butt joints would not be optimal since surface area of contact is so small. Would it be better to glue the tension members on the outside of the 1/4 compression members? Also, how should i go about bracing the compression members?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Kragy wrote:Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. I now plan on using 1/4 balsa for the 2 compression members and sticking with my 1/8 bass wood for tension. However I have a question. Since the thicknesses of the two sticks are different, connecting the tension and compression members using butt joints would not be optimal since surface area of contact is so small. Would it be better to glue the tension members on the outside of the 1/4 compression members? Also, how should i go about bracing the compression members?
Read this, it should help:
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%2 ... ever_Guide
Just use x-braces, with some ladders in between.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

New record today at regionals for C division, 1403. First place was around 1700. Neither were box and beam designs, showing the potential of other methods.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
mnoga wrote:
mnoga wrote:
Heard a report of a 2200+ boom in the C division today at the UCSB Regional (SoCal) from a very good source. I'll attempt to confirm.
Talked to my source and boom in question weighed approx. 6.7g and held maximum weight + a little extra.
Impressive. My 2k boom ran on near similar specs but it didn't hold all the weight. By any chance do you know what team it was? Nice to see that 2k is achievable.
Sorry I’m just reading this now lol
I did Boomi at Cornell for bro Fox, I got 12th with a 982. (But I think CP Weber beat me).
Took me by surprise cause I won regs with only a 747.
NY States is gonna be fun. I’ve been trying hard to get an efficiency over 1700. Succeeding so far.
Over 2500? I think so. Bay or Gelimas I think is definitely going to step up their game.
Curious to see who wins boomi state :))))
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

I’ve been coming up with a design that will get 3000 and it seems very possible in theory, although it might not work in practice. I’ll have to try it out before nats.
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Post by wzhang5460 »

scioly2345 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
mnoga wrote:
Talked to my source and boom in question weighed approx. 6.7g and held maximum weight + a little extra.
Impressive. My 2k boom ran on near similar specs but it didn't hold all the weight. By any chance do you know what team it was? Nice to see that 2k is achievable.
Sorry I’m just reading this now lol
I did Boomi at Cornell for bro Fox, I got 12th with a 982. (But I think CP Weber beat me).
Took me by surprise cause I won regs with only a 747.
NY States is gonna be fun. I’ve been trying hard to get an efficiency over 1700. Succeeding so far.
Over 2500? I think so. Bay or Gelimas I think is definitely going to step up their game.
Curious to see who wins boomi state :))))
Lol we'll see ig. We won regs with a bit over 1.5k but we aren't really improving... we'll see if we get better over the next couple of weeks haha. Good luck at states!
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GA State Div C winner scored around 2000 points, top Nationals qualifier was Brookwood with around 1400.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

YAY we're heading to nats again! Below are some scores from the RI state tournament:

Division B:
1st - Gallagher Middle School (Me :D ) - 9.78g, held 14.41 kg - 1473.42
2nd - Kickemuit Middle School - Probably a little bit higher than 3rd place (100 points higher?)
3rd - Barrington Middle School - ~13.6g, held ~8kg - ~588.24

Division C:
1st - Smithfield High School :D - 13g, iirc held 11kg - ~846.15 (They recorded it as 5000 though idk why)
2nd - Cranston High School West
3rd - Wheeler School

See the poorly run event story:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6237&p=386162#p386162
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

Grand Haven High School here in Michigan scored first at regionals with 2279 points. Their boom was 6.58 g and held 15 kg.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Boomilever B/C”