Configurations of the Boomilever

S4BB
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Configurations of the Boomilever

Post by S4BB »

Image The piece of wood is angled so that the tension members end up at the width of the boom at the end they are glued to. Bass core is 3/32 thick with 1/32 thick pieces of Balsa to cover the tension members top and bottom. Tension members are on the outside of the compression pieces.
Cow481
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

S4BB wrote:Image The piece of wood is angled so that the tension members end up at the width of the boom at the end they are glued to. Bass core is 3/32 thick with 1/32 thick pieces of Balsa to cover the tension members top and bottom. Tension members are on the outside of the compression pieces.
Just a suggestion, but shouldn’t you have the grains facing the other way for the base part because i think the way you have them facing right now would basically help with failure
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
S4BB
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by S4BB »

The Center Bass piece is facing the other direction, the two Balsa cap pieces went the opposite direction to the Bass piece.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

While I certainly respect the unique design of the trussed box beam, I'd offer the following:
A structure, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link. The more pieces and parts you have, the more joints there are. The more joints there are, the more chances of potential failure you will have. All things being equal with 2 different designs, each weighing the same, with one having 12 pieces, and the other having 120 pieces, I'll take the 12 piece structure every time. Just my 2 cents worth...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Cow481
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

S4BB wrote:The Center Bass piece is facing the other direction, the two Balsa cap pieces went the opposite direction to the Bass piece.
Thats makes a lot more sense, i couldn’t see the grains of the middle
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:

Return to “Boomilever B/C”