Tube Boomilevers

Azn
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tube Boomilevers

Post by Azn »

AlexDeKuang wrote:What did you use to keep the wood bent around the form to dry?
I used small rubber bands at first, but these left an impression on the wood. An improved method I used was to actually wrap everything in a layer of tissue paper and secure it with masking tape (not exactly sure how I got this to work since everything would have been wet, I probably dabbed the sheets dry a bit before wrapping). There are probably more effective construction methods out there, but this seemed to do the trick

stringman
Division: B
State: MD

Post by stringman »

Where do you buy you wood that you use to make the tube?
klastyioer
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

stringman wrote:Where do you buy you wood that you use to make the tube?
just find some nice 1/16 sheets online at your balsa supplier
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
scottK2019
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by scottK2019 »

If your current testing score is lower than 2000, it is good to try this design. With 6.8g, it can hold around 17kg.
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Azn wrote:
AlexDeKuang wrote:What did you use to keep the wood bent around the form to dry?
I used small rubber bands at first, but these left an impression on the wood. An improved method I used was to actually wrap everything in a layer of tissue paper and secure it with masking tape (not exactly sure how I got this to work since everything would have been wet, I probably dabbed the sheets dry a bit before wrapping). There are probably more effective construction methods out there, but this seemed to do the trick

i mean i dont rly do boomi
but for ws if i ever need to shape sheets i just secure things w a layer of paper and tape
ie for props i use containers to shape the blades (though i do want to learn prop blocks and stuff soon) so i secure the soaked blades onto the container with lots of masking tape
you gotta make sure its at a low temp tho and that ur tape adhesive wont melt onto anything
which is why the paper is handy to use and then tape
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

klastyioer wrote:
stringman wrote:Where do you buy you wood that you use to make the tube?
just find some nice 1/16 sheets online at your balsa supplier
i meant 1/32 my bad

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Azn wrote:I experimented a bit with the tube design when I was a senior back in 2014. I used a solid 'plug' for the distal end that was sanded down to fit inside the tube by ~1/4 inch. The tension members were attached to the plug, which also featured a hole for the loading block assembly. Initial testing of this design yielded scores upwards of 1800 (booms just under 6g breaking around 10-11kg). These scores definitely could have been improved upon, but in the end I gave up on this design because it was too challenging for me to reproduce tube designs with high consistency (too risky for me).

I used 1/32 thick sheets for the tubes (I believe ~5/8" diameter but its hard to remember), and 1/16 bass for tensions. These pictures should pretty much explain of how the plugs were built.

Did you ever have breakages of the plug itself? I think "light" balsa would suffice?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

might try next year i dont actually know that much abt this design
i only rly know how to make the tube portion cause ws
anyways
how many times does it take on average to get like a decent boomi? i would say 1700 to be decent in this context
also i dont get the entire plug mechanism, how does the tension even like go into that?

Return to “Boomilever B/C”