Compression members

Atlanta
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Compression members

Post by Atlanta »

Hi,
Need help with compression members. All these while I have been using 1/4 * 1/4 Balsa compression members, tried various tension members both Balsa and Bass. In the last few tests I notice that 1/4*1/4 compression members break after reaching load of 9 kgs. Any suggestions on how to strengthen the compression members ? Should I go for different Balsa dimensions ?
Thanks.
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Compression members

Post by Dreamz »

Atlanta wrote:Hi,
Need help with compression members. All these while I have been using 1/4 * 1/4 Balsa compression members, tried various tension members both Balsa and Bass. In the last few tests I notice that 1/4*1/4 compression members break after reaching load of 9 kgs. Any suggestions on how to strengthen the compression members ? Should I go for different Balsa dimensions ?
Thanks.
1/4 x 1/4 seems like a good place to start, although you might want to consider slightly smaller dimensions to shave off some weight. Just remember that the strength of a compression piece is ultimately determined by how it is reinforced.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Thanks.
What are your bracing intervals?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Atlanta

Post by Atlanta »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Thanks.
What are your bracing intervals?

Hi,
The distance between two compression members is 5.5 cm and I have placed cross bracings at a distance of 6 cms each and total of 7 bracings.
Atlanta

Post by Atlanta »

Dreamz wrote:
Thanks.
1/4 x 1/4 seems like a good place to start, although you might want to consider slightly smaller dimensions to shave off some weight. Just remember that the strength of a compression piece is ultimately determined by how it is reinforced.

okay, will try a smaller dimension.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Atlanta wrote:
Dreamz wrote:
Thanks.

I've seen a lot of teams using 1/8 x 1/4 compression beams (single beam each side). The double platform designs typically use four 1/8 x 1/8 compression beams.
Lorant
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

mnoga wrote:
Atlanta wrote:
Dreamz wrote:

I've seen a lot of teams using 1/8 x 1/4 compression beams (single beam each side). The double platform designs typically use four 1/8 x 1/8 compression beams.
Try U beams for compression.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage

Return to “Boomilever B/C”