Lifespan of balsa and bass sticks

FrogLegs
Has thanked: 0

Lifespan of balsa and bass sticks

Post by FrogLegs »

Any idea the lifespan of precut balsa and bass sticks from merchants like Specialized and National? I have some (expensive) sticks from towers last year that we still haven’t used, so I am trying to decide whether to store them for another year or toss them.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Lifespan of balsa and bass sticks

Post by TheChiScientist »

FrogLegs wrote:Any idea the lifespan of precut balsa and bass sticks from merchants like Specialized and National? I have some (expensive) sticks from towers last year that we still haven’t used, so I am trying to decide whether to store them for another year or toss them.
Balsa itself should not go "bad" at all if stored properly. Otherwise, I see no reason not to reuse. If the wood quality is questionable then it's better to just use that wood for a prototype/test boom than toss it out.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
FrogLegs

Post by FrogLegs »

Thanks! We store in mailing tubes in a dry location. Any other special ways to store it that you would suggest?
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

FrogLegs wrote:Thanks! We store in mailing tubes in a dry location. Any other special ways to store it that you would suggest?
Moisture Sealed boxes in a dry location. What your doing also works as well.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

FrogLegs wrote:Any idea the lifespan of precut balsa and bass sticks from merchants like Specialized and National? I have some (expensive) sticks from towers last year that we still haven’t used, so I am trying to decide whether to store them for another year or toss them.
Balsa... is like a fine wine... it just gets better and better... or at least it doesn't go bad as long as it isn't left outside in the rain or something...
GLUE on the other hand is another story! Get fresh glue at the start of every season!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
bobo
Been thanked: 0

Post by bobo »

This is totally unscientific. I had a bunch of 1/8x1/8 sticks left over from last year. Every one was marked with weight and buckling load. They just sat in the kitchen counter behind the microwave for the whole year (don't ask me why). My house is always air conditioned and has no humidity issue. I checked again this year, about 8-10 sticks. Every one of them is very close to the original weight and load. I was surprised. My students built booms with the sticks, and so far no failure with the old sticks. Again, this is anecdotal. I suggest you test the sticks again. If they do not change that much, I would use them.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”