Silica Gel Beads

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Silica Gel Beads

Post by TheChiScientist »

I've been doing my own research on silica gel beads and I've been wondering if other people have been doing the same?
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Carrot
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Silica Gel Beads

Post by Carrot »

My team hasn't been using silica gel beads and has been able to get a rather competitive efficiency but I heard that it silica gels can shave off a few tenths of a gram. Depending on costs, I might try using them in the near future. To any team that does use them, do you have any recommendations as to where to buy silica gels, preferably not being too expensive, as well as how much should be used?
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Carrot wrote:My team hasn't been using silica gel beads and has been able to get a rather competitive efficiency but I heard that it silica gels can shave off a few tenths of a gram. Depending on costs, I might try using them in the near future. To any team that does use them, do you have any recommendations as to where to buy silica gels, preferably not being too expensive, as well as how much should be used?
Amazon. To find the optimal amount (in grams) you must calculate the volume of your airtight container and use the recommended amount per volume. It's normally on the back of the big silica gel bag and then you mass the beads to get near the recommendation. (For me it's 22g) It is a major plus as it shaved off 0.14g which improved my score by 36 points more or less. Remember every point counts. :P
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
waffletree
Division: C
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

What do the gel beads do? I’ve never heard of any team using them
builder cult vp // #treegang
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

It keeps the inside of the container dry (it's the stuff in those seaweed packages)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:It keeps the inside of the container dry (it's the stuff in those seaweed packages)
Ahahaha sorry this post is not at all useful, but the seaweed part reminded me of a time when 3 year old me decided it would be a good idea to eat the tiny silica gel balls inside my snack. Thankfully, I don't recall getting sick or dying, so I probably didn't eat too many...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
waffletree

Post by waffletree »

MadCow2357 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:It keeps the inside of the container dry (it's the stuff in those seaweed packages)
Ahahaha sorry this post is not at all useful, but the seaweed part reminded me of a time when 3 year old me decided it would be a good idea to eat the tiny silica gel balls inside my snack. Thankfully, I don't recall getting sick or dying, so I probably didn't eat too many...
gee thanks guys. these 2 posts were so beneficial :lol: :lol:
but actually though im pretty sure that every little kid has opened the packets and eaten the gel
Cow481
Division: B

Post by Cow481 »

waffletree wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
but actually though im pretty sure that every little kid has opened the packets and eaten the gel
But if they ate them, wouldn’t they die?
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
waffletree

Post by waffletree »

Cow481 wrote:
waffletree wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: Ahahaha sorry this post is not at all useful, but the seaweed part reminded me of a time when 3 year old me decided it would be a good idea to eat the tiny silica gel balls inside my snack. Thankfully, I don't recall getting sick or dying, so I probably didn't eat too many...
i think if you ate like a few beads it would be fine but if you ate like 3 packets you'd probably get sick or something ad you'd probably die from like 15 packets...i dont think ive ever heard of anyone dying to gel beads.
(i still have no idea why we're using it for boomi tho)
Cow481
Division: B

Post by Cow481 »

waffletree wrote:
Cow481 wrote:
waffletree wrote: gee thanks guys. these 2 posts were so beneficial :lol: :lol:
i think if you ate like a few beads it would be fine but if you ate like 3 packets you'd probably get sick or something ad you'd probably die from like 15 packets...i dont think ive ever heard of anyone dying to gel beads.
(i still have no idea why we're using it for boomi tho)
They absorb moisture so the wood gets less affected by moisture. It is very helpful for rainy days
Also i found this
“I did research on whether or not silica gel was poisonous, because I wanted to use a bunch of the silica gel beads as an abrasive method to clean out a bottle that was dirty. I added a bunch of silica gel beads and a bit of water into the dirty bottle to be cleaned, I put the lid back on and tilted the bottle back and forth and used the beads as a way of scraping the inside of the bottle clean. This did work well, but I found that upon adding water to the silica beads, quite a few of the silica gel beads cracked, this was from the silica gel beads absorbing water fast. The silica gel beads are designed to absorb moisture slowly from the air. The result of the silica gel beads breaking, were tiny slivers of sharp silica, so even if silica gel itself is not poisonous, eating them could be dangerous, because some of the silica gel beads will shatter into sharp pieces, and could cause cuts in the digestive tract, so avoid eating silica gel beads.”
Also they are not toxic
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:

Return to “Boomilever B/C”