Boomilever height

nyu12345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boomilever height

Post by nyu12345 »

So I'm new to science olympiad this year and I was put in Boomilever. For division c I'm getting that the maximum height may only be 15 cm, but I'm not sure if that's the ideal height to build at because if it bends a little below the 15 cm line you will be done testing right? So basically I wanted to ask if I should make my build shorter than 15 cm and by how much?
Carrot
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Boomilever height

Post by Carrot »

nyu12345 wrote:So I'm new to science olympiad this year and I was put in Boomilever. For division c I'm getting that the maximum height may only be 15 cm, but I'm not sure if that's the ideal height to build at because if it bends a little below the 15 cm line you will be done testing right? So basically I wanted to ask if I should make my build shorter than 15 cm and by how much?
As long as when you begin loading your boomi is above the 15cm line it should be fine. Once you start to load, there will be lots of friction from the wall onto your boomilever and there is a very small chance that your boomi's contact point with the wall will change.
nyu12345

Post by nyu12345 »

Carrot wrote:
nyu12345 wrote:So I'm new to science olympiad this year and I was put in Boomilever. For division c I'm getting that the maximum height may only be 15 cm, but I'm not sure if that's the ideal height to build at because if it bends a little below the 15 cm line you will be done testing right? So basically I wanted to ask if I should make my build shorter than 15 cm and by how much?
As long as when you begin loading your boomi is above the 15cm line it should be fine. Once you start to load, there will be lots of friction from the wall onto your boomilever and there is a very small chance that your boomi's contact point with the wall will change.

Oh ok, so its not like when for example the loading part of your boomilever tips below the contact point? Its only the part thats touching the wall
Carrot
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

nyu12345 wrote:
Carrot wrote:

Oh ok, so its not like when for example the loading part of your boomilever tips below the contact point? Its only the part thats touching the wall
Yes, that is correct. As long as the point of contact with the wall is above the 15cm line you are good.
nyu12345

Post by nyu12345 »

Carrot wrote:
nyu12345 wrote:
Carrot wrote:

Yes, that is correct. As long as the point of contact with the wall is above the 15cm line you are good.
Thanks
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

nyu12345 wrote:
Carrot wrote:
nyu12345 wrote:
Thanks
Just remember about the physics in play here so keep your boom as close to 15cm as possible. (Btw that's good :geek: )
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
nyu12345

Post by nyu12345 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
nyu12345 wrote:
Carrot wrote:
Thanks
Just remember about the physics in play here so keep your boom as close to 15cm as possible. (Btw that's good :geek: )
I'll try my best to. Thanks

Return to “Boomilever B/C”