scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tension

Post by scioly2345 »

When you guys connect the tension onto the dowel by the hook, what other re enforcement do you put?
Just the glue? Or do you guys drill into the dowel and glue in toothpicks to make the joint stronger because a LOT of pressure is being put in that one area?
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Re: Tension

Post by MadCow2357 »

scioly2345 wrote:When you guys connect the tension onto the dowel by the hook, what other re enforcement do you put?
Just the glue? Or do you guys drill into the dowel and glue in toothpicks to make the joint stronger because a LOT of pressure is being put in that one area?
Why the toothpicks, they aren't that strong?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
scioly2345

Post by scioly2345 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:When you guys connect the tension onto the dowel by the hook, what other re enforcement do you put?
Well I thought if I added the toothpicks plus the wood and let the entire thing dry, it would just be extra support. But I’m switching from balsa tension to bass tension now because I’m getting 1400 efficiencies with the tension breaking every time, but if I don’t need to do the toothpick thing I don’t think I’m going to because bass alone is very much heavier than balsa.
wzhang5460
Division: B

Post by wzhang5460 »

scioly2345 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
Well I thought if I added the toothpicks plus the wood and let the entire thing dry, it would just be extra support. But I’m switching from balsa tension to bass tension now because I’m getting 1400 efficiencies with the tension breaking every time, but if I don’t need to do the toothpick thing I don’t think I’m going to because bass alone is very much heavier than balsa.
I would suggest reinforcing balsa tension at distal end as opposed to using bass, I found that bass was too heavy.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
scioly2345

Post by scioly2345 »

wzhang5460 wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: Why the toothpicks, they aren't that strong?
I would suggest reinforcing balsa tension at distal end as opposed to using bass, I found that bass was too heavy.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the distal end the part where the tension meets compression (near the loading block)?
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

scioly2345 wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the distal end the part where the tension meets compression (near the loading block)?
That's right-the distal end essentially is where the tension and compression meet.
scioly2345

Post by scioly2345 »

Anonymous15 wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the distal end the part where the tension meets compression (near the loading block)?
That's right-the distal end essentially is where the tension and compression meet.
Thank you!
Are there any ideas on how to reinforce the distal end ? Add wood or add glue?
I’m assuming all the reinforcements go near the distal end and not where the dowel by the hook is
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

No problem!

I used the method Aia explained here: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%2 ... ever_Guide
I've never had a failure at the distal joint using this method. However, depending on your boom, you might want to try using different wood/wood sizes with this method, and see what works for you (to avoid extra weight).

Also, you should definitely reinforce the distal end AND the base, where the dowel is. Both parts are under a LOT of stress, and need really good reinforcement.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”