waffletree wrote:PA div B:
1. 2042
2. 1973.68
who won top 3 again i forgot and am low key lazy to look it up

1. Harlan Rowe
2. SSA
3. Eagle View
aight thanks bro
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
leinad520
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: State Boomilever scores

Post by leinad520 »

JonB wrote:
Unome wrote:
21Cabbage wrote:At PA States Div C, the top scores were:
1. 1794
2. 1772
3. 1584
Those seem strangely low, considering we've had people upwards of 2000 for a while now.
Agreed. I think there is a handful of teams that have scored over 2000 but there are also factors at work when approaching full load that cannot be accounted for at competition. We recently just filmed the actual hook under almost full load when the boomi broke (around 14.5kg) and observed that the hook (and plywood wall) were causing the hook to deflect about 5mm compared to where it started when not under load. You will not have this much deflection IF the board the hook is attached to is extremely thick/dense but I think this requirement is underestimated at many competitions. I think this factor could cause some of the lighter boomis to break prematurely at some competitions. I cannot speak for the PA competition specifically, but I can have a hard time comparing boomi scores across the nation unless they were all broken on the same wall/device.
This was actually a problem for me in my 6th grade year, my first year doing any of these kinds of builds. The hook on the testing wall at States was actually dragged down about 5mm, causing my boom to look as though it was past the line, however, I knew that it was perfectly above the line. Regardless, I asked to change testing stations and the other hook was fine. I don't know if they can/will still have this problem, but as a 6th grader, it was pretty stressful.
"Strong Mental"
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: State Boomilever scores

Post by JonB »

leinad520 wrote:
JonB wrote:
Unome wrote: Those seem strangely low, considering we've had people upwards of 2000 for a while now.
Agreed. I think there is a handful of teams that have scored over 2000 but there are also factors at work when approaching full load that cannot be accounted for at competition. We recently just filmed the actual hook under almost full load when the boomi broke (around 14.5kg) and observed that the hook (and plywood wall) were causing the hook to deflect about 5mm compared to where it started when not under load. You will not have this much deflection IF the board the hook is attached to is extremely thick/dense but I think this requirement is underestimated at many competitions. I think this factor could cause some of the lighter boomis to break prematurely at some competitions. I cannot speak for the PA competition specifically, but I can have a hard time comparing boomi scores across the nation unless they were all broken on the same wall/device.
This was actually a problem for me in my 6th grade year, my first year doing any of these kinds of builds. The hook on the testing wall at States was actually dragged down about 5mm, causing my boom to look as though it was past the line, however, I knew that it was perfectly above the line. Regardless, I asked to change testing stations and the other hook was fine. I don't know if they can/will still have this problem, but as a 6th grader, it was pretty stressful.
Still a problem for sure. It was VERY obvious at our regional comp but it is hard to tell at most competitions. There is no great/easy way to standardize this variable.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”