End Task

ScottMaurer19
Division: C
State: OH

Re: End Task

Postby ScottMaurer19 » March 14th, 2019, 12:25 pm

LIPX3 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
Dreamz wrote: Our machine has a similar design and we've brought it to many competitions. As long as your square below the platform is smaller than the platform in both length and width, I don't think it should be a problem. Certainly helps get the battery out of the box for sure!

ah yeah that's the problem, the platform below is slightly bigger (like 0.3 cm bigger). Do you think that becomes an issue?

I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.

I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?
Solon '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Dynamic: n/a
Fossils: 1/
GLM: 1/
Herp: 1/
Mission: 1/
WS: 4/

Total Top 3 Placements: 136

Dreamz
State: OH

Postby Dreamz » March 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
ah yeah that's the problem, the platform below is slightly bigger (like 0.3 cm bigger). Do you think that becomes an issue?

I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.

I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?

Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.

LIPX3
State: -

Postby LIPX3 » March 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Dreamz wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.

Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.

I agree in that it shouldn't be an issue, however its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with. If there's ever a point in Mission where an event supervisor could find an issue and you can easily fix it, I don't see why you wouldn't.

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » March 14th, 2019, 3:22 pm

LIPX3 wrote:
Dreamz wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?

I agree in that it shouldn't be an issue, however its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with. If there's ever a point in Mission where an event supervisor could find an issue and you can easily fix it, I don't see why you wouldn't.

I don't see where they would have a problem. Can you clarify what you mean by "its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with."
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » March 14th, 2019, 3:26 pm

PM2017 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:
Dreamz wrote:Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.

I don't see where they would have a problem. Can you clarify what you mean by "its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with."

I think ES's tend to get a bad rap, especially on these forums. Don't worry, for the most part they are very reasonable, and if you do need to argue with an ES, they usually take it very well and are fair about it. For something like the size of the platform, as long as the part that touches the battery is square and between 5 and 10 cm, you're fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » March 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:I agree in that it shouldn't be an issue, however its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with. If there's ever a point in Mission where an event supervisor could find an issue and you can easily fix it, I don't see why you wouldn't.

I think ES's tend to get a bad rap, especially on these forums. Don't worry, for the most part they are very reasonable, and if you do need to argue with an ES, they usually take it very well and are fair about it. For something like the size of the platform, as long as the part that touches the battery is square and between 5 and 10 cm, you're fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think it's always best to assume that your ES will be horrible, even when most aren't. But that's only for ambiguous cases where there can be weird interpretations, not something like this.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

erico.vert
State: MD

Postby erico.vert » March 14th, 2019, 7:27 pm

PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:I don't see where they would have a problem. Can you clarify what you mean by "its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with."

I think it's always best to assume that your ES will be horrible, even when most aren't. But that's only for ambiguous cases where there can be weird interpretations, not something like this.

The only way I could see this being a problem would be if the battery were to fall off the top platform but stay on the bottom platform somehow, since then it would've technically fallen off if the other platform wasn't there.

Return to “Mission Possible C”