Mission Possible C

marty3
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by marty3 »

PM2017 wrote:Here's a public service announcement reminding everyone to weigh their masses, and make sure they are over 500g for sure. Didn't happen to me, but I've heard stories of people being at 499.95g (or in that general ballpark) and not getting the points...
Very true. If only the rules defined a precision for mass measurements, it might help people plan for this.

Another PSA is to make sure your all actions of your device are safe. At states I saw an unusually large number of devices (5-10) that concerned the judges.

The main problem was action 4.g.xi (break string directly or indirectly using electricity). Blades on a motor need to be well guarded to minimize injury risks if touches are needed (motors can unpredictable turn on at any moment!). Nichrome wires need to be away from wood, carboard, etc. as they can light them on fire.

It's great practice to turn off electricity once an electrical action completes, but also make sure this still happens when you need a touch during the run. One team needed a touch for an electrical action (IR?), and somehow bypassed opening the circuit. It lead to wires burning up, releasing an enormous amount of smoke, and only earning participation points for their device.

Return to “Mission Possible C”