CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by CookiePie1 »

niceli28 wrote:For the endothermic task, what kind of bimetallic thermostat should we use and how should we heat it up?
We have tried a Peltier Device but it was unable to affect the bimetallic thermostat that we have to close the circuit.
You don't want to heat it up; an endothermic action absorbs energy and cools down. You also aren't limited to a bimetallic strip; there are other reliable options. You can also buy a bimetallic strip by itself - they are usually sold as science demonstration tools.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
terence.tan
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

is there a point deduction if you assign a task as the timer but it doesnt run over 30 seconds?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

terence.tan wrote:is there a point deduction if you assign a task as the timer but it doesnt run over 30 seconds?
There's no point deduction, you just won't recieve timing points.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Dreamz »

terence.tan wrote:is there a point deduction if you assign a task as the timer but it doesnt run over 30 seconds?
There isn't a point deduction. So as long as your timer increases run time but doesn't take the whole machine past the target time, it's getting additional points (run-time points, not timer bonus points)
nateDC
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

CookiePie1 wrote:
niceli28 wrote:For the endothermic task, what kind of bimetallic thermostat should we use and how should we heat it up?
We have tried a Peltier Device but it was unable to affect the bimetallic thermostat that we have to close the circuit.
You don't want to heat it up; an endothermic action absorbs energy and cools down. You also aren't limited to a bimetallic strip; there are other reliable options. You can also buy a bimetallic strip by itself - they are usually sold as science demonstration tools.
I am using a thermistor on the cooler side of the Peltier cooler (most of these coolers have a hot side and a cool side), which means that as the one side cools down, the thermistor also cools down and turns on a transistor.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Blank25

Post by Blank25 »

Any tips for building this last minute and how to get the most points possible given the time constraints?
Also, where do I start?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

Blank25 wrote:Any tips for building this last minute and how to get the most points possible given the time constraints?
Also, where do I start?
I would refer you to page 9 on this forum but to sum things up:
-Small dimensions: get as many points as you can for size but don't make it unnecessarily small
-ASL/30 minute setup- its easy points. Don't forget it.
-Use easy tasks that take no time at all to build (levers, magnet, and string tasks are all pretty easy)
-MAKE SURE YOU ATTEMPT THE FINAL TASK even if it doesn't work. If you don't have a final task, the other tasks won't count per rule 3.c.
-Lastly, if you have time, add a simple timer (sand timer or even a ball rolling back and forth down ramps) in order to get close to the target time.
Good Luck!
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code
Blank25

Post by Blank25 »

Vortexx wrote:
Blank25 wrote:Any tips for building this last minute and how to get the most points possible given the time constraints?
Also, where do I start?
I would refer you to page 9 on this forum but to sum things up:
-Small dimensions: get as many points as you can for size but don't make it unnecessarily small
-ASL/30 minute setup- its easy points. Don't forget it.
-Use easy tasks that take no time at all to build (levers, magnet, and string tasks are all pretty easy)
-MAKE SURE YOU ATTEMPT THE FINAL TASK even if it doesn't work. If you don't have a final task, the other tasks won't count per rule 3.c.
-Lastly, if you have time, add a simple timer (sand timer or even a ball rolling back and forth down ramps) in order to get close to the target time.
Good Luck!
Thanks!
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
annabelle0308

Post by annabelle0308 »

How many points does one usually have to earn to win a medal at regionals and also at states? Like if you tallied up the raw score from all the storable actions and timers and points for other things, what’s the minimum amount of those points needed to get a medal at regionals and what’s the minimum amount of those points needed to get a medal at states?
mjcox2000
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

annabelle0308 wrote:How many points does one usually have to earn to win a medal at regionals and also at states? Like if you tallied up the raw score from all the storable actions and timers and points for other things, what’s the minimum amount of those points needed to get a medal at regionals and what’s the minimum amount of those points needed to get a medal at states?
It depends a lot on the level of competition at your competition. For the regional I attended, I later heard the ES saying that a small, properly labeled device consisting only of a start task could place top 3. More competitive regionals and state tournaments will naturally require a more competent device to place well.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Return to “Mission Possible C”