Alke
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by Alke »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mission Possible and I was just assigned it 4 days before the competition. My partner doesn't have a device, so I'm thinking of creating a machine with only a start action. Is that legal?

-Thanks!
Last edited by Alke on February 19th, 2019, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

Alke wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mission Possible and I was just assigned it 2 days before the competition. My partner doesn't have a device, so I'm thinking of creating a machine with only a start action. Is that legal?

-Thanks!
Yes, it's 'legal' to not participate at all to be honest. You can have only a start action, but keep in mind that your time will be scored as 180 seconds because you don't have an end action.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
Alke wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mission Possible and I was just assigned it 2 days before the competition. My partner doesn't have a device, so I'm thinking of creating a machine with only a start action. Is that legal?

-Thanks!
Yes, it's 'legal' to not participate at all to be honest. You can have only a start action, but keep in mind that your time will be scored as 180 seconds because you don't have an end action.
While it is technically legal to do that, the start action would not contribute (or intend to contribute) towards an end action and therefore not count for points.That being said, the ES may not catch that subtlety so it may be better than nothing
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Alke

Post by Alke »

Would the points count if the start action led to an attempted, but unsuccesful end action? I know there's a lot of teams that don't particpate, so I want to show up and not get tiered down.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Alke wrote:Would the points count if the start action led to an attempted, but unsuccesful end action? I know there's a lot of teams that don't particpate, so I want to show up and not get tiered down.
If you really want to ensure getting points for the start action, have the golf ball get hit by the ping-pong ball, have a non-scorable action triggered by the golf ball, and then your final action. That way if/when the final action does not wiork, you can still claim that the golf ball began the next action and for sure get points for it.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Alke wrote:Would the points count if the start action led to an attempted, but unsuccesful end action? I know there's a lot of teams that don't particpate, so I want to show up and not get tiered down.
If you really want to ensure getting points for the start action, have the golf ball get hit by the ping-pong ball, have a non-scorable action triggered by the golf ball, and then your final action. That way if/when the final action does not wiork, you can still claim that the golf ball began the next action and for sure get points for it.
You could also make your device super small so that you can get bonus points for size.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
You could also make your device super small so that you can get bonus points for size.
This is always a good plan^
Read the rules though so you don't try to make it smaller than necessary.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Alke

Post by Alke »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll definitely try this and hope we don't get tiered down for Mission Possible.
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

Alke wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I'll definitely try this and hope we don't get tiered down for Mission Possible.
If you have time you could also put a simple sand timer, or have the golf ball roll down a track to get the time up.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

Vortexx wrote:
Alke wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I'll definitely try this and hope we don't get tiered down for Mission Possible.
If you have time you could also put a simple sand timer, or have the golf ball roll down a track to get the time up.
Someone on our team had to do this, except they found out the night before. Think the simple actions (for example lever task), get the start task, the end task, size bonus.... dont forget the ASL either.
My device bombed at Cornell this weekend, only completed 3 tasks, had 3 touches. I got most of the size points though, and had a timer, so was able to place in the top 15. From this I would recommend a simple device that requires no touches, which in itself is worth a good amount.
Hope this helps!

Return to “Mission Possible C”