Mission Possible C

absolutezerok3
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 9:37 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby absolutezerok3 » November 25th, 2018, 11:12 am

terence.tan wrote:i am curious how many tasks you guys have so far and the dimensions of your device

I think this year's device is going to be quite a bit bigger than last year's (20 to 30 cm more in total). I'm at a 30mx30cmx40cm right now and have completed 6 of the 9 tasks (plus completed start and final) I´m attempting for now. Everything should fit inside this box.
2018
1|states MTV

2019
Disease Detectives| Mousetrap Vehicle | Circuit Lab | Mission Possible |Boomilever.

5 years and counting!!

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby TheSquaad » November 25th, 2018, 11:47 am

absolutezerok3 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:i am curious how many tasks you guys have so far and the dimensions of your device

I think this year's device is going to be quite a bit bigger than last year's (20 to 30 cm more in total). I'm at a 30mx30cmx40cm right now and have completed 6 of the 9 tasks (plus completed start and final) I´m attempting for now. Everything should fit inside this box.


Top teams will still make some combination of dimensions to get all 90 points

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby PM2017 » November 25th, 2018, 12:13 pm

I have mine as 24.5 x 29.5 x 35.5.

Assuming I haven't made any really stupid mistakes, it should be fairly easy to get all the tasks to fir in this space.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. We’ve still got further to go.” – Tom Brady

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby TheSquaad » November 26th, 2018, 6:25 am

PM2017 wrote:I have mine as 24.5 x 29.5 x 35.5.

Assuming I haven't made any really stupid mistakes, it should be fairly easy to get all the tasks to fir in this space.


Have you attempted the 3 ima pulley yet? It requires the counterweight to travel at least 30 cm to lift the weight the required 10 cm. If that fits in 35.5 vertical cm, that's amazing.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby PM2017 » November 26th, 2018, 6:03 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
PM2017 wrote:I have mine as 24.5 x 29.5 x 35.5.

Assuming I haven't made any really stupid mistakes, it should be fairly easy to get all the tasks to fir in this space.


Have you attempted the 3 ima pulley yet? It requires the counterweight to travel at least 30 cm to lift the weight the required 10 cm. If that fits in 35.5 vertical cm, that's amazing.

Who said anything about a counterweight? :)
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. We’ve still got further to go.” – Tom Brady

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 555
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » November 27th, 2018, 4:49 am

PM2017 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
PM2017 wrote:I have mine as 24.5 x 29.5 x 35.5.

Assuming I haven't made any really stupid mistakes, it should be fairly easy to get all the tasks to fir in this space.


Have you attempted the 3 ima pulley yet? It requires the counterweight to travel at least 30 cm to lift the weight the required 10 cm. If that fits in 35.5 vertical cm, that's amazing.

Who said anything about a counterweight? :)

What counterweights are they talking about ;) ? My device is 20Lx40Wx30Hcm
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 125

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby TheSquaad » November 27th, 2018, 6:11 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
Have you attempted the 3 ima pulley yet? It requires the counterweight to travel at least 30 cm to lift the weight the required 10 cm. If that fits in 35.5 vertical cm, that's amazing.

Who said anything about a counterweight? :)

What counterweights are they talking about ;) ? My device is 20Lx40Wx30Hcm


How are you managing to turn the pulley without a counterweight? My team reasoned that, since we can’t use an electric motor, winding the pulley like a winch was out of question.

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 555
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » November 27th, 2018, 9:40 am

TheSquaad wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Who said anything about a counterweight? :)

What counterweights are they talking about ;) ? My device is 20Lx40Wx30Hcm


How are you managing to turn the pulley without a counterweight? My team reasoned that, since we can’t use an electric motor, winding the pulley like a winch was out of question.

Get creative with how you do it. If you wait about 8 months I'll tell you what I did
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 125

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3814
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Unome » November 27th, 2018, 10:18 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:What counterweights are they talking about ;) ? My device is 20Lx40Wx30Hcm


How are you managing to turn the pulley without a counterweight? My team reasoned that, since we can’t use an electric motor, winding the pulley like a winch was out of question.

Get creative with how you do it. If you wait about 8 months I'll tell you what I did

You could just use more pulleys, I suppose, as long as you have the required pulleys. That probably wouldn't be a very useful solution though.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby terence.tan » November 27th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Would it be legal to do an scorable action that requires electricty twice
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, WIDI

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby CookiePie1 » November 27th, 2018, 5:23 pm

terence.tan wrote:Would it be legal to do an scorable action that requires electricty twice


See 3.d. and 4.b. The keywords are 'once' and 'unique'. So therefore, I'd say no.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby terence.tan » November 27th, 2018, 5:36 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:Would it be legal to do an scorable action that requires electricty twice


See 3.d. and 4.b. The keywords are 'once' and 'unique'. So therefore, I'd say no.

i meant that i would have that task appear twice in 2 different places even though i wont receive points for the second time
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, WIDI

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby CookiePie1 » November 27th, 2018, 5:57 pm

terence.tan wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:Would it be legal to do an scorable action that requires electricty twice


See 3.d. and 4.b. The keywords are 'once' and 'unique'. So therefore, I'd say no.

i meant that i would have that task appear twice in 2 different places even though i wont receive points for the second time


Ok. I would still say no, however, because then the second time it would become a non-scorable action that violates rule 3.g.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

annabelle0308
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: October 8th, 2018, 11:58 am
State: -

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby annabelle0308 » November 29th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Is there a minimum amount of time that the machine needs to run for? It says in section e of The Competition that the Target Operation Time is 60 seconds but can it be less time than that?

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby CookiePie1 » November 29th, 2018, 7:05 pm

annabelle0308 wrote:Is there a minimum amount of time that the machine needs to run for? It says in section e of The Competition that the Target Operation Time is 60 seconds but can it be less time than that?


There isn't anything in the rules that has a minimum amount of time for the whole device, as far as I see, but the only minimum time applies to a timer.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?


Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest