Mission Possible C

DrDaveV
State: -

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby DrDaveV » November 29th, 2018, 7:11 pm

annabelle0308 wrote:Is there a minimum amount of time that the machine needs to run for? It says in section e of The Competition that the Target Operation Time is 60 seconds but can it be less time than that?

Reading through the scoring part of the rules.

2 points for each for second of operation up to the target time.
1 point penalty for each second over the target time.

So my interpretation is that if we ignore the timer:
Run time Time Score
20 s 40 points
50 s 100 points
60 s 120 points
70 s 120 points - 10 point penalty = 100 points

ET2020
Division: C
State: NY

Postby ET2020 » December 7th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Can you receive tasks for any actions if you don't have a start task? According to rule 3.c, "any action in the device designed not to contribute to the completion of the final action will not receive points." However, this presents a big problem for early invitationals where many people will not have completed the end task, leading to many similarly low scores. I understand you can't have parallel or dead end tasks, but what if you simply haven't built the end task at all yet?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2020

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » December 7th, 2018, 7:14 pm

ET2020 wrote:Can you receive tasks for any actions if you don't have a start task? According to rule 3.c, "any action in the device designed not to contribute to the completion of the final action will not receive points." However, this presents a big problem for early invitationals where many people will not have completed the end task, leading to many similarly low scores. I understand you can't have parallel or dead end tasks, but what if you simply haven't built the end task at all yet?

If a device, by design, does not have an operable final action, then per 3.c. I believe you would get zero points from the preceding actions. If the device has a final action which fails to operate, then I believe you would still receive points for the preceding actions. In either scenario, I believe you could still earn points for an ASL, quick setup, etc. and lose points for the various penalties.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » December 8th, 2018, 3:07 pm

When the rules state in 3.b., "The top and at least two vertical walls must be open or transparent for viewing all actions," does this mean that also shelves must be transparent? Does this also imply that a chamber for say, the balloon task, must have two transparent walls and a transparent top?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

TheSquaad
State: -

Postby TheSquaad » December 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

antoine_ego wrote:When the rules state in 3.b., "The top and at least two vertical walls must be open or transparent for viewing all actions," does this mean that also shelves must be transparent? Does this also imply that a chamber for say, the balloon task, must have two transparent walls and a transparent top?

No, that only refers to the device overall. For chambers like the one for the balloon task, you just have to ensure that the reaction is somehow visible (to prove that you’re actually performing a reaction as opposed to say using a fan).

mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Postby mpnobivucyxtz » December 16th, 2018, 12:28 pm

servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?

absolutezerok3
State: MI

Postby absolutezerok3 » December 16th, 2018, 12:55 pm

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?

I would just not use servos and replace them with motors with a direct connection to the power source
1|states MTV

Disease Detectives| Mousetrap Vehicle | Circuit Lab | Mission Possible |Boomilever.

5 years and counting!!

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » December 18th, 2018, 9:04 pm

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?

You can remove the circuitry from the servo and provide power directly to the DC motor inside of the servo. It would essentially function as a continuous rotation servo.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

amyliu03

Postby amyliu03 » December 29th, 2018, 8:23 am

How long does the timer have to run to gain extra points? Also, would it be considered a parallel action if the timer was a sand timer pouring into a bucket to slowly initiate a pulley system?

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » December 29th, 2018, 8:32 am

amyliu03 wrote:How long does the timer have to run to gain extra points? Also, would it be considered a parallel action if the timer was a sand timer pouring into a bucket to slowly initiate a pulley system?

If it runs at least 30 seconds, you get the timer bonus. If I understand you correctly (i.e. the effort force on the pulley is some type of container being filled w/ sand until it has enough mass to cause the pulley to move.), then no, it is not a parallel action, because for one the mass is being added before the pulley is started, and two you would designate an action to be a clock. It doesn't matter if it's already a scoreable action.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

amyliu03

Postby amyliu03 » December 31st, 2018, 9:11 am

If my timer is a salt timer, and it’s gradually pouring into the bucket of a pulley system, and the pulley gradually moves as the bucket gets heavier with salt, will it count as a parallel action because the salt timer and pulley are moving at the same time?

absolutezerok3

Postby absolutezerok3 » December 31st, 2018, 9:14 am

amyliu03 wrote:If my timer is a salt timer, and it’s gradually pouring into the bucket of a pulley system, and the pulley gradually moves as the bucket gets heavier with salt, will it count as a parallel action because the salt timer and pulley are moving at the same time?

It depends how you word it in your ASL. If you list both as separate actions, it will probably be considered illegal. However, if you use the salt pouring as a part of the Pulley task, it should work
1|states MTV

Disease Detectives| Mousetrap Vehicle | Circuit Lab | Mission Possible |Boomilever.

5 years and counting!!

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » December 31st, 2018, 11:19 am

absolutezerok3 wrote:
amyliu03 wrote:If my timer is a salt timer, and it’s gradually pouring into the bucket of a pulley system, and the pulley gradually moves as the bucket gets heavier with salt, will it count as a parallel action because the salt timer and pulley are moving at the same time?

It depends how you word it in your ASL. If you list both as separate actions, it will probably be considered illegal. However, if you use the salt pouring as a part of the Pulley task, it should work

I don't really think there's any way to consider this a parallel task. The sand being poured in triggers the pulley task. Therefore, it's a linear sequence of actions.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

absolutezerok3

Postby absolutezerok3 » December 31st, 2018, 11:38 am

PM2017 wrote:
absolutezerok3 wrote:

I don't really think there's any way to consider this a parallel task. The sand being poured in triggers the pulley task. Therefore, it's a linear sequence of actions.

I would disagree. Since both tasks are operating at the same time "Pulley GRADUALLY moves as bucket becomes heavier" , it would be far safer for you to combine them as one task.
1|states MTV

5 years and counting!!

ftf841
State: MD

Postby ftf841 » December 31st, 2018, 12:42 pm

Would this be legal? The Rule clarification says that "anything labeled programmable would not be allowed per rule 3.i." Technically, it's not labeled as programmable, but it's adjustable, since there's a potentiometer that's allows you to adjust output voltage.
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor

Return to “Mission Possible C”