Page 7 of 12

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm
by engineerandgolfer
Hello all,

This is my first year on Mission, and I am in over my head with the Infrared task. What I am looking to do is have the golf ball from the start task land in a cup that would apply pressure on and close a switch, allowing current to flow to the IR transmitter. The receiver would detect the IR and this would allow current to flow through a relay to a motor with an attached blade that would carry out action 11 (fishing line task).

Is what I am describing possible with these components:

https://www.alliedelec.com/optek-tt-ele ... gLpyPD_BwE

A lot of examples of IR circuits that I found online were super complicated and/or required Arduinos, which aren't allowed this year.

I could really use some guidance with this. Thank you for your help.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm
by jinhusong
You may need a resistor like 200ohm for IR LED to limit the current.

You may need a transistor or even a comparator and a transistor for IR receiver to drive the relay.

Jinhu

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 19th, 2019, 11:53 am
by amyliu03
For the final action, if the platform raises above the machine with the freestanding battery and then the battery falls off would that still count or does the battery have to remain on the platform after it raises above?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 19th, 2019, 12:25 pm
by TheSquaad
amyliu03 wrote:For the final action, if the platform raises above the machine with the freestanding battery and then the battery falls off would that still count or does the battery have to remain on the platform after it raises above?


Your mission ends when the platform stops above the device. This means that the battery must be on the platform when it stops.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 21st, 2019, 7:04 pm
by amyliu03
2 questions:
1) For the final action, if a magnet were to be placed under the platform which helps keep the battery upright on top of the platform, would that count? Or would that be considered “not freestanding” or “attached to the device”?
2) If we use a touch on a scorable action, will that action still be counted for points?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 21st, 2019, 7:20 pm
by nicholasmaurer
amyliu03 wrote:2 questions:
1) For the final action, if a magnet were to be placed under the platform which helps keep the battery upright on top of the platform, would that count? Or would that be considered “not freestanding” or “attached to the device”?
2) If we use a touch on a scorable action, will that action still be counted for points?


1. Read the FAQs from 10/15/18
2. Read rule 4.i

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 21st, 2019, 7:31 pm
by unknownuser2
Hey all, might be a stupid question, but for the actions which we can use electricity for, do we need to find a way to turn them off afterwards, so as not to be penalized for the more than 10 seconds electrical timer if it remains running (even if not still doing the task)? I remember something like this being discussed last year. And if so, how would one do that if we can't use programmable circuits with timers?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 21st, 2019, 7:36 pm
by nicholasmaurer
unknownuser2 wrote:Hey all, might be a stupid question, but for the actions which we can use electricity for, do we need to find a way to turn them off afterwards, so as not to be penalized for the more than 10 seconds electrical timer if it remains running (even if not still doing the task)? I remember something like this being discussed last year. And if so, how would one do that if we can't use programmable circuits with timers?


This was answered more satisfactorily in the FAQs last year. However, the consensus is that as long as the electrical action triggers the next action before 10 seconds have elapsed, you won't incur any penalty as the first action will have completed. You are certainly welcome to turn off electronic components after their completion per the FAQ on 10/5/18.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm
by tbraford02
I have a few questions:
1) can we use a motor to lift the final action platform?
2) if so, can we put it above the box?
3) if 2) is true, will it count towards the height limit?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 22nd, 2019, 5:40 pm
by TheSquaad
tbraford02 wrote:I have a few questions:
1) can we use a motor to lift the final action platform?
2) if so, can we put it above the box?
3) if 2) is true, will it count towards the height limit?


1) Yes, electricity is legal in the final action.
2) When the platform stops moving, it must be above all other sections of the device. This includes the motor.
3) You can put a motor at the top of your device, but that will make it the highest point and thus count towards measurements.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 22nd, 2019, 9:16 pm
by mpnobivucyxtz
For the final task, our method of raising the platform may not actually stop the platform at any point because the motor we're using will continue running indefinitely. In accordance to the FAQ, can we connect an action to end the motor, or would that be considered "connected" to the task?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 23rd, 2019, 5:48 am
by TheSquaad
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:For the final task, our method of raising the platform may not actually stop the platform at any point because the motor we're using will continue running indefinitely. In accordance to the FAQ, can we connect an action to end the motor, or would that be considered "connected" to the task?


We’re just having the undercarriage of our platform hit a switch to turn off the motor. Something along those lines is 100% legal as long as it’s listed as part of the final action on your asl.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 23rd, 2019, 7:24 am
by ET2020
windu34 wrote:I thought I would do a quick write-up now that Ive had some sleep and can think cohesively again. I am not going to release raw scores or anything of the such until I get permission to do so from MIT SciOly. But I will provide some useful comments and numbers that can be of use to you all.
Top 3: ~1200
Top 6: ~1100
Top 10: ~ 1000
Mean: ~650
Overall: Out of the 76 teams, only 57 showed up. MIT SciOly was VERY clear about running all events using Nationals rules this year - those that were tiered hopefully will be more vigilant about such things. Overall, the event ran pretty smoothly and I was quite pleased - I had put alot of thought into how I was going to run Mission for such a massive number of teams by myself. In the end, I knew I wasnt going to be able to judge all the devices myself, and I ended up recruiting two additional ESes that had varying levels of familiarity with the event, and I felt they did an outstanding job judging teams.


Since nationals rules were used at MIT, does that mean the target time was in the 90-120 second range, as it will be at nats, or 60 seconds, like it usually is for invitationals?

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 23rd, 2019, 9:49 am
by CookiePie1
ET2020 wrote:
windu34 wrote:I thought I would do a quick write-up now that Ive had some sleep and can think cohesively again. I am not going to release raw scores or anything of the such until I get permission to do so from MIT SciOly. But I will provide some useful comments and numbers that can be of use to you all.
Top 3: ~1200
Top 6: ~1100
Top 10: ~ 1000
Mean: ~650
Overall: Out of the 76 teams, only 57 showed up. MIT SciOly was VERY clear about running all events using Nationals rules this year - those that were tiered hopefully will be more vigilant about such things. Overall, the event ran pretty smoothly and I was quite pleased - I had put alot of thought into how I was going to run Mission for such a massive number of teams by myself. In the end, I knew I wasnt going to be able to judge all the devices myself, and I ended up recruiting two additional ESes that had varying levels of familiarity with the event, and I felt they did an outstanding job judging teams.


Since nationals rules were used at MIT, does that mean the target time was in the 90-120 second range, as it will be at nats, or 60 seconds, like it usually is for invitationals?


Try reading the rules again, closely.

Re: Mission Possible C

Posted: January 23rd, 2019, 10:42 am
by ET2020
CookiePie1 wrote: Try reading the rules again, closely.


Section 4.e. says, "The Target Operation Time is 60.0 seconds at Regionals/Invitationals, 61.0 to 90.0 seconds at State,
and 91.0 to 120.0 seconds at Nationals."
I'm a bit confused because windu34 said they used Nationals rules at MIT, implying the 91.0 to 120.0 second target time, but the rules clearly state the target for invitationals is 60.0 seconds. Which time was used?