Balloon Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Balloon Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.i

The task seems to be similar to last year except with some more stringent requirements.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ET2020
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by ET2020 »

Does anyone know what "unguided" means? Does that mean the balloon can't touch any walls?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ET2020 wrote:Does anyone know what "unguided" means? Does that mean the balloon can't touch any walls?
That's a great question. It would definitely mean the device can't be designed so that the balloon expands through a constrained tunnel of sorts.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
ET2020 wrote:Does anyone know what "unguided" means? Does that mean the balloon can't touch any walls?
That's a great question. It would definitely mean the device can't be designed so that the balloon expands through a constrained tunnel of sorts.
I expect this is going to be a controversial and difficult question, with multiple FAQs over the course of the season. In talking with several people with input into these rules, there is disagreement even among them as to the definition of unguided.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Brov

Post by Brov »

If I have the balloon expand downwards, would gravity be considered as a "guide"? If not, then does placing a mass into the balloon count as having a guide?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Brov wrote:If I have the balloon expand downwards, would gravity be considered as a "guide"? If not, then does placing a mass into the balloon count as having a guide?
As I said above, "unguided" is horribly vague - there will need to be an FAQ.

PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Oh, yeah definitely. I've heard there was even debate over whether gravity counts as guidance. I'm rather concerned about the precedent this would set, since 1. gravity is a fundamental phenomenon that will affect the balloon no matter what and 2. If gravity is considered guidance, what laws of physics are safe, and which ones aren't?

(Sorry for crude grammar, I'm rather sleepy as of the writing of this post.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Guided means that you are forcing the balloon to expand in a way different then it would if it was expanding in the open.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Jacobi wrote:Guided means that you are forcing the balloon to expand in a way different then it would if it was expanding in the open.
What forces count? Gravity, electrostatic, bouyant? Is hanging the balloon upside down gravitational guidance?

Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote:Guided means that you are forcing the balloon to expand in a way different then it would if it was expanding in the open.
What forces count? Gravity, electrostatic, bouyant? Is hanging the balloon upside down gravitational guidance?
I would say gravity only. Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Mission Possible C”