Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by Jacobi »

PM2017 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
What forces count? Gravity, electrostatic, bouyant? Is hanging the balloon upside down gravitational guidance?
I would say gravity only. Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
This is obviously in serious need of an FAQ or a clarification.
Agreed.
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Does this new FAQ also void all designs where the ballon simply points downwards, regardless of whether or not it has weights?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

PM2017 wrote:Does this new FAQ also void all designs where the ballon simply points downwards, regardless of whether or not it has weights?
It says the baloon must be able to move randomly, so i don't see how it would be wrong to place a balloon upside down as long as it can move freely and randomly.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

I'm probably overlooking a really obvious solution, but how do you plan on initiating the reaction? If you have a hole in a beaker to drop baking soda in (for example), wouldn't the CO2 just escape from that hole rather than inflate the balloon? Do you just make your hole as small as possible?
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

nmurali2002 wrote:I'm probably overlooking a really obvious solution, but how do you plan on initiating the reaction? If you have a hole in a beaker to drop baking soda in (for example), wouldn't the CO2 just escape from that hole rather than inflate the balloon? Do you just make your hole as small as possible?
one word: magnets (needed to included more than 3 words to not have my post taken down ;) )
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Does this new FAQ also void all designs where the ballon simply points downwards, regardless of whether or not it has weights?
It says the baloon must be able to move randomly, so i don't see how it would be wrong to place a balloon upside down as long as it can move freely and randomly.
SoCal FAQs have clarified this, saying that it is legal.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
nmurali2002 wrote:I'm probably overlooking a really obvious solution, but how do you plan on initiating the reaction? If you have a hole in a beaker to drop baking soda in (for example), wouldn't the CO2 just escape from that hole rather than inflate the balloon? Do you just make your hole as small as possible?
one word: magnets (needed to included more than 3 words to not have my post taken down ;) )
Same.
(So as to not get my post taken down, here's a thought. I don't know how it would be implemented, but there are in fact some one-word answers that do convey enough meaning to be considered useful. Perhaps these should not be restricted by the one word limit? For example, responding no, or yes to a question implies that you are saying no to the entire question. Therefore, it does have the substance needed to be useful, but this substance is implicit.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
Unfortunately SoCal FAQs have no official weight outside of SoCal...

However, my understanding is that this would be considered legal. If it is the balloon's own weight that is pulling it down, then it would not be considered guidance. This stands in contrast to adding weights into the balloon, which the FAQs have prohibited.

An open question remains as to what happens if small amounts of the vinegar/baking soda splash into the balloon.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:

However, my understanding is that this would be considered legal. If it is the balloon's own weight that is pulling it down, then it would not be considered guidance. This stands in contrast to adding weights into the balloon, which the FAQs have prohibited.

An open question remains as to what happens if small amounts of the vinegar/baking soda splash into the balloon.

Considering that this should occur by random, I think it would still be legal by definition of "can move randomly." As long as a significant amount of liquid doesn't stretch the balloon downwards, it should be fine.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

TheSquaad wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote: SoCal FAQs have clarified this, saying that it is legal.

Considering that this should occur by random, I think it would still be legal by definition of "can move randomly." As long as a significant amount of liquid doesn't stretch the balloon downwards, it should be fine.
The concern is that this liquid would qualify as a weight. How would you define a "significant amount of liquid?"
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Return to “Mission Possible C”