Endothermic Task

honorstoise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Endothermic Task

Post by honorstoise »

What if you used the peltier cooler idea with an ntc thermistor and an electromagnet. The thermistor would get cooled and rise in resistance, causing an electromagnet to lose strength. However, im not sure whether there are thermistors that can do this.
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

honorstoise wrote:What if you used the peltier cooler idea with an ntc thermistor and an electromagnet. The thermistor would get cooled and rise in resistance, causing an electromagnet to lose strength. However, im not sure whether there are thermistors that can do this.
why are you using an electromagnet?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
honorstoise

Post by honorstoise »

terence.tan wrote:
honorstoise wrote:What if you used the peltier cooler idea with an ntc thermistor and an electromagnet. The thermistor would get cooled and rise in resistance, causing an electromagnet to lose strength. However, im not sure whether there are thermistors that can do this.
I'm using an electromagnet to drop something to hit a switch for the next action. The ntc thermistor will weaken the electromagnet when it gets cold. This might count as electricity where it isn't supposed to be used tho...
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

honorstoise wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
I'm using an electromagnet to drop something to hit a switch for the next action. The ntc thermistor will weaken the electromagnet when it gets cold. This might count as electricity where it isn't supposed to be used tho...
We used an electromagnet to initiate one of our tasks. As long as it’s clearly defined that magnetic force ends the electric action and starts the next action, you should be fine.
ftf841
State: MD

Post by ftf841 »

Does anyone have a good way of activating something from the temperature change? We're trying to use a peltier cooler right now, but it isn't producing enough of a change to switch a bimetallic thermostat (switches at 15 C).
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

ftf841 wrote:Does anyone have a good way of activating something from the temperature change? We're trying to use a peltier cooler right now, but it isn't producing enough of a change to switch a bimetallic thermostat (switches at 15 C).
Do you have good thermal contact between the cold side of your peltier and the thermostat? If you hit the peltier with an IR thermometer, how cold is it? Are you running adequate current through it?
honorstoise

Post by honorstoise »

knightmoves wrote:
ftf841 wrote:Does anyone have a good way of activating something from the temperature change? We're trying to use a peltier cooler right now, but it isn't producing enough of a change to switch a bimetallic thermostat (switches at 15 C).
Do you have good thermal contact between the cold side of your peltier and the thermostat? If you hit the peltier with an IR thermometer, how cold is it? Are you running adequate current through it?
I'm pretty sure this has already been linked, and props to whoever did, but couldn't you use this?

https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Digi ... Thermostat
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

Hello,

This is my first post ever and first year doing Mission Possible. I was thinking to have the pettier chip and then have a thermistor connected which reacts to it being heated up. Then I was planning on having the heat up cause less resistance in thermistor since it’s ntc and then heat up a nichrome wire to burn a string. Does this count as two separate tasks?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shr3D
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Shr3D wrote:Hello,

This is my first post ever and first year doing Mission Possible. I was thinking to have the pettier chip and then have a thermistor connected which reacts to it being heated up. Then I was planning on having the heat up cause less resistance in thermistor since it’s ntc and then heat up a nichrome wire to burn a string. Does this count as two separate tasks?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shr3D
Yes, assuming you write your ASL to clearly separate the two tasks WITHOUT adding an intermediate, since you can't have intermediate tasks that use electricity. Also, you may not be able to directly control your nichrome just by lowering the resistance- it might be necessary to use a transistor switch, but you can experiment with that :)

PS: Welcome to Scioly!!! :D
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

Hello,

I don’t know how to reply to posts directly (sorry)

But, what’s a transistor switch and anyone have any links to some? I was thinking on having a backwards/opposite/reverse circuit breaker in between the ntc transistor and the nichrome wire. When the resistance decreases and more current is available, the “reverse” circuit breaker flips the switch to the “on” position and sends electricity to the nichrome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shr3D
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS

Return to “Mission Possible C”