Endothermic Task

stevieb711
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Endothermic Task

Post by stevieb711 »

What's the best place to apply heat (or cold) to a bimetallic strip for the greatest effect?
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

Erm... ok...

I’m wondering, theoretically, if you use NTC thermistors and have them cooled down, wouldn’t the resistance increase? Since the resistance reduces when heated up, I think it makes sense...
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

Shr3D wrote:Erm... ok...

I’m wondering, theoretically, if you use NTC thermistors and have them cooled down, wouldn’t the resistance increase? Since the resistance reduces when heated up, I think it makes sense...
That does make sense because it is correct. There are a number of ways you could use an increase in resistance to trigger another task.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

CookiePie1 wrote:

That does make sense because it is correct. There are a number of ways you could use an increase in resistance to trigger another task.
One way I didn't realize until this morning is an NC relay. Once the resistance goes over a certain level, the current should drop, meaning the electromagnet inside the relay would switch on, and you could then do a thing. (that thing being the next task of course.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:

One way I didn't realize until this morning is an NC relay. Once the resistance goes over a certain level, the current should drop, meaning the electromagnet inside the relay would switch on, and you could then do a thing. (that thing being the next task of course.)
Hmm ok... but are NC relays non-programmable? And could you attach a link to one?
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

I am waiting on the last part in the mail, but am just curious (so I know if I really need to adjust anything while I wait a week for shipping), how long does this action usually take?
I plan on using a peltier cooler and a thermistor.
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:I am waiting on the last part in the mail, but am just curious (so I know if I really need to adjust anything while I wait a week for shipping), how long does this action usually take?
I plan on using a peltier cooler and a thermistor.
There is not set amount of time, it depends on the difference in resistance between your thermistor and whatever other source of resistance you have in your circuit, be it a fixed resistor or potentiometer. If the difference was greater, it would take more time, and vice versa. As we have it set up, it takes about half a second.
ftf841
State: MD

Post by ftf841 »

We're trying to use a peltier cooler and thermistor in a circuit like the one attached, but we're having problems with calibrating the switching temperature. Is anyone else using something similar and have you had problems with re-calibrating at competition?
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
mjcox2000
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

ftf841 wrote:We're trying to use a peltier cooler and thermistor in a circuit like the one attached, but we're having problems with calibrating the switching temperature. Is anyone else using something similar and have you had problems with re-calibrating at competition?
Two things:

1. Instead of your 50k bias resistor, consider using a thermistor (identical to your 100k thermistor) as the bias resistor so that you don’t have to recalibrate for room temperature.

2. Keep in mind that an LM393 can only sink 1mA per the datasheet — consider having a higher value resistor for the LED to avoid reaching this limit. Alternatively, amplify the output with a PNP transistor.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
trdd

Post by trdd »

Last edited by trdd on April 30th, 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Mission Possible C”