Effervescence Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Effervescence Task

Postby Unome » September 3rd, 2018, 7:14 pm

See rule 4.b.iii

Fits the trend of increased specificity in the rules. It's pretty similar to last year's gas expansion task.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

trdd
State: -

Re: Effervescence Task

Postby trdd » September 13th, 2018, 7:41 am

Last year's gas expansion task was supposed to be due to a result in increase of temperature not a chemical reaction. The expansion of gas (CO2) of these tablets in water are due mainly to the chemical reaction not due to the increase in temperature. So this is not like last year's gas expansion task but it is similar o last year's chemical reaction to expand a balloon task but without the 20cm requirement and without forcing the use of a balloon.

xxnoell
Division: C
State: CA

Postby xxnoell » November 21st, 2018, 5:41 pm

So how are you guys planning on accomplishing this? We've been stuck for a while... :?

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » November 22nd, 2018, 11:11 am

xxnoell wrote:So how are you guys planning on accomplishing this? We've been stuck for a while... :?

Use a 2 chamber system similar to a barometer, connected by water in between. Have the tablets dropped into one chamber to increase the air pressure in that chamber, which will push water into the other chamber. This could be used for something like raising a golf ball.

404ic

Postby 404ic » December 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to combine this task with the endothermic task? If you interpret it as the heartburn pill's reaction with water triggering an endothermic reaction, could it count as two separate scorable actions?

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » December 1st, 2018, 4:39 pm

404ic wrote:Hi everyone,

Is it possible to combine this task with the endothermic task? If you interpret it as the heartburn pill's reaction with water triggering an endothermic reaction, could it count as two separate scorable actions?

That's very iffy. It'd be very hard to demonstrate the difference between the two to an ES. Additionally, you'd have to be sure that the endothermic action triggered the following action as a result in reducing temperature, not the gas produced by the tablet. To be safe, I'd just have an entirely separate action.

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » December 1st, 2018, 6:38 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
404ic wrote:Hi everyone,

That's very iffy. It'd be very hard to demonstrate the difference between the two to an ES. Additionally, you'd have to be sure that the endothermic action triggered the following action as a result in reducing temperature, not the gas produced by the tablet. To be safe, I'd just have an entirely separate action.

That's correct. However, the even bigger rule that is being broken here is that in 4.b. it specifies a "unique" action. You can't use the same action as two different actions. Furthermore, it's impossible to write on your ASL that one action counts as two different actions.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

MgEHS22

Postby MgEHS22 » December 1st, 2018, 8:02 pm

So I have a quick question about it, it says “drop two effervescent heartburn relief tablets into water so the reaction triggers the next action” would it count if you dropped water into a container with 2 effervescent tablets?
Thanks!

Vortexx
State: IN

Postby Vortexx » December 1st, 2018, 8:25 pm

MgEHS22 wrote:So I have a quick question about it, it says “drop two effervescent heartburn relief tablets into water so the reaction triggers the next action” would it count if you dropped water into a container with 2 effervescent tablets?
Thanks!

I would say no.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

Chikoo10

Postby Chikoo10 » December 2nd, 2018, 10:05 am

When using a barometer system, wouldn't that require some water to start in the chamber with the golf ball? Is this legal? Additionally, would this be considered a unique container which water is being added to or could the supervisor consider the entire contraption a single container?

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » December 2nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

Chikoo10 wrote:When using a barometer system, wouldn't that require some water to start in the chamber with the golf ball? Is this legal? Additionally, would this be considered a unique container which water is being added to or could the supervisor consider the entire contraption a single container?

Yes it would require water to starting with. I see no reason why it wouldn't be legal. The rules just say "add water to a container," not add water to a dry container. And I think that as long as there's a clear division between the two sections (ie a tube connecting the tablet container and the golf ball container) then it's pretty clear that they're separate.

akshay0824

Postby akshay0824 » December 27th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » December 27th, 2018, 6:19 pm

akshay0824 wrote:Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?

The rules specify two, so I’d say no

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » December 29th, 2018, 2:20 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
akshay0824 wrote:Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?

What were you planning to do that would require more than two tablets?
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » December 29th, 2018, 8:26 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:

What were you planning to do that would require more than two tablets?

I'd presume TheSquaad needed a faster reaction rate, or more gas to be produced.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad (Alum, as of Saturday)

Return to “Mission Possible C”