C8H10N4O2!
State: -

Re: Effervescence Task

Postby C8H10N4O2! » January 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm

PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
The rules specify two, so I’d say no

What were you planning to do that would require more than two tablets?

I'd presume TheSquaad needed a faster reaction rate, or more gas to be produced.

if that is the case, use more water (so they are completely submerged), and so that the starting gas volume of the container is less (more water=less space for gas), and thus the pressure of the gas produced will increase faster, and since im assuming you are expanding something with the gas, this will cause a quicker expansion

jellyams

Postby jellyams » February 5th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Would it be legal to alter the tablets in some way (ie cutting them up or grinding into powder for faster reaction rate)

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 6th, 2019, 5:06 am

jellyams wrote:Would it be legal to alter the tablets in some way (ie cutting them up or grinding into powder for faster reaction rate)

Per FAQ, I'm fairly certain this is prohibited.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

jellyams

Postby jellyams » February 10th, 2019, 8:06 pm

has anyone figured out how to couple this with the raising golf ball task? I dont see how it's possible to produce enough gas at a fast enough rate to raise a golf ball five cm. (assuming we're using a two chamber system with tablets in one, and a gold ball in another)

Vortexx

Postby Vortexx » February 10th, 2019, 8:30 pm

jellyams wrote:has anyone figured out how to couple this with the raising golf ball task? I dont see how it's possible to produce enough gas at a fast enough rate to raise a golf ball five cm. (assuming we're using a two chamber system with tablets in one, and a gold ball in another)

I can think of one but I'm not sure if it will work or not. However, based on how you worded your question, it seems that you believe that we have to complete the tasks in the order that they are listed in the rules. This is not the case. You are allowed to complete the tasks (not including the start and end) in any order you want. Also, going back to your question, you use water to raise the golf ball, not gas.

Hope this helps!

knightmoves
State: -

Postby knightmoves » February 11th, 2019, 7:25 am

Unome wrote:
jellyams wrote:Would it be legal to alter the tablets in some way (ie cutting them up or grinding into powder for faster reaction rate)

Per FAQ, I'm fairly certain this is prohibited.

If your device grinds the tablets in the process of combining them with the liquid, it's probably OK...

teamblueorange

Postby teamblueorange » February 11th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Since the rules didn't say unmodified effervescent heartburn relief tablets, could we attached magnets to the tablets to help complete this action?

Vortexx

Postby Vortexx » February 11th, 2019, 7:40 pm

teamblueorange wrote:Since the rules didn't say unmodified effervescent heartburn relief tablets, could we attached magnets to the tablets to help complete this action?

That is what I did and so far I have not heard any complaints from the judges.

Return to “Mission Possible C”