Effervescence Task

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Effervescence Task

Post by TheSquaad »

Chikoo10 wrote:When using a barometer system, wouldn't that require some water to start in the chamber with the golf ball? Is this legal? Additionally, would this be considered a unique container which water is being added to or could the supervisor consider the entire contraption a single container?
Yes it would require water to starting with. I see no reason why it wouldn't be legal. The rules just say "add water to a container," not add water to a dry container. And I think that as long as there's a clear division between the two sections (ie a tube connecting the tablet container and the golf ball container) then it's pretty clear that they're separate.
akshay0824
Been thanked: 0

Post by akshay0824 »

Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

akshay0824 wrote:Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?
The rules specify two, so I’d say no
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

TheSquaad wrote:
akshay0824 wrote:Are we allowed to drop more than 2 heartburn relief tablets into water?
What were you planning to do that would require more than two tablets?
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
I'd presume TheSquaad needed a faster reaction rate, or more gas to be produced.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

PM2017 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
I'd presume TheSquaad needed a faster reaction rate, or more gas to be produced.

if that is the case, use more water (so they are completely submerged), and so that the starting gas volume of the container is less (more water=less space for gas), and thus the pressure of the gas produced will increase faster, and since im assuming you are expanding something with the gas, this will cause a quicker expansion
jellyams

Post by jellyams »

Would it be legal to alter the tablets in some way (ie cutting them up or grinding into powder for faster reaction rate)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

jellyams wrote:Would it be legal to alter the tablets in some way (ie cutting them up or grinding into powder for faster reaction rate)
Per FAQ, I'm fairly certain this is prohibited.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jellyams

Post by jellyams »

has anyone figured out how to couple this with the raising golf ball task? I dont see how it's possible to produce enough gas at a fast enough rate to raise a golf ball five cm. (assuming we're using a two chamber system with tablets in one, and a gold ball in another)
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

jellyams wrote:has anyone figured out how to couple this with the raising golf ball task? I dont see how it's possible to produce enough gas at a fast enough rate to raise a golf ball five cm. (assuming we're using a two chamber system with tablets in one, and a gold ball in another)
I can think of one but I'm not sure if it will work or not. However, based on how you worded your question, it seems that you believe that we have to complete the tasks in the order that they are listed in the rules. This is not the case. You are allowed to complete the tasks (not including the start and end) in any order you want. Also, going back to your question, you use water to raise the golf ball, not gas.

Hope this helps!
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

Return to “Mission Possible C”