Golf Ball Task

chessbucket
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Golf Ball Task

Post by chessbucket »

Unome wrote:
chessbucket wrote:What defines golfball? Does it have to be of a certain shape, mass, volume, etc? Certain golf balls are smaller or wider, and certain ones weigh more/less depending on the company.
I believe there's a generally accepted standard on golf ball mass and size limits - something like 4 cm diameter and some mass range equivalent to around 1.2-1.3 g/mL.
We will have to file an FAQ just to be sure though. anyone know when they will start answering the FAQs?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
chessbucket wrote:What defines golfball? Does it have to be of a certain shape, mass, volume, etc? Certain golf balls are smaller or wider, and certain ones weigh more/less depending on the company.
I believe there's a generally accepted standard on golf ball mass and size limits - something like 4 cm diameter and some mass range equivalent to around 1.2-1.3 g/mL.
There are indeed competition standards for golf balls. If you purchase standard, commercially-available golf balls you should be fine.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

I think that a buoy would be required. Moreover, I think that you could have a golf ball waterslide. The golf ball and a bit of water would flow over, and the water would be recycled into a lower container.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

One possible way to use the least water would be to get a small section of 2" PVC pipe. Cut the exit end on something like a 45 degree bevel.
A float could be a piece of wood also cut on a bevel to force the golf ball to go where you want it to go. Since I have it, I would use a 1 3/4" hole saw to cut it our of a 2 x 4. Consider using poly urethane or a spray lacquer on it to waterproof it. Alternative is to microwave it for 1 min on high to dry it out. Caution, the wood will swell slightly from the water. Best to have 2 dry ones. By making it a little bit taller you could control the time by controlling the starting amount of water in the pipe.
Options for the wood could be a proper size plastic fish bobber or a large cork.
chessbucket

Post by chessbucket »

retired1 wrote:One possible way to use the least water would be to get a small section of 2" PVC pipe. Cut the exit end on something like a 45 degree bevel.
A float could be a piece of wood also cut on a bevel to force the golf ball to go where you want it to go. Since I have it, I would use a 1 3/4" hole saw to cut it our of a 2 x 4. Consider using poly urethane or a spray lacquer on it to waterproof it. Alternative is to microwave it for 1 min on high to dry it out. Caution, the wood will swell slightly from the water. Best to have 2 dry ones. By making it a little bit taller you could control the time by controlling the starting amount of water in the pipe.
Options for the wood could be a proper size plastic fish bobber or a large cork.
I like this idea. Its simple and seems hard to mess up at first glance at least
absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

I have a simple solution but it might be problematic depending on what a container is.

Does the container for the golf ball have to be able to hold the ball through it's entire length. For example, could you have a narrower section connected to a wider section which holds the golf ball, with the entire apparatus being considered a container?
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

absolutezerok3 wrote:I have a simple solution but it might be problematic depending on what a container is.

Does the container for the golf ball have to be able to hold the ball through it's entire length. For example, could you have a narrower section connected to a wider section which holds the golf ball, with the entire apparatus being considered a container?
i see no reason why this wouldn't be allowed.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Chikoo10

Post by Chikoo10 »

What are you guys using for the buoy? I've tried wood (pretty low density balsa) and 3D print material, but so far to no avail. Any ideas for materials?
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Chikoo10 wrote:What are you guys using for the buoy? I've tried wood (pretty low density balsa) and 3D print material, but so far to no avail. Any ideas for materials?
Styrofoam works very well.

Return to “Mission Possible C”