Golf Ball Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Golf Ball Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.iv

Obviously one would want to control the direction of the golf ball's movement carefully. Another challenge will be ensuring that the excess water doesn't cause problems.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ET2020
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Golf Ball Task

Post by ET2020 »

How could you make the ball roll out of the top of the container? Presumably the ball would only be ~50% above the water, so the bottom of the ball would be kept below the lowest lip of the container, since the water would spill out of the container above that height. Does anyone see a way around this?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

ET2020 wrote:How could you make the ball roll out of the top of the container? Presumably the ball would only be ~50% above the water, so the bottom of the ball would be kept below the lowest lip of the container, since the water would spill out of the container above that height. Does anyone see a way around this?
You could put the golf ball on a tall buoy so it raises above the container lip before the water does
Brov

Post by Brov »

TheSquaad wrote:
ET2020 wrote:How could you make the ball roll out of the top of the container? Presumably the ball would only be ~50% above the water, so the bottom of the ball would be kept below the lowest lip of the container, since the water would spill out of the container above that height. Does anyone see a way around this?
You could put the golf ball on a tall buoy so it raises above the container lip before the water does
Is placing the golf ball on a floating device allowed? That would make this task a lot easier.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Brov wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
Is placing the golf ball on a floating device allowed? That would make this task a lot easier.
4.b.iv says the golf ball must be "located in the same container" as the water - that appears to be the only restriction. Therefore a buoy would appear to be legal.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Brov wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
4.b.iv says the golf ball must be "located in the same container" as the water - that appears to be the only restriction. Therefore a buoy would appear to be legal.
In fact, something like this seems to be the only obvious way (actually there are other ways that I've thought of since, but I'd rather keep them to myself) for this task, since golf balls do not float on water. (They have a density of 1.26 grams/cc, so I don't believe that salty water would work either.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

PM2017 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Brov wrote:
In fact, something like this seems to be the only obvious way (actually there are other ways that I've thought of since, but I'd rather keep them to myself) for this task, since golf balls do not float on water. (They have a density of 1.26 grams/cc, so I don't believe that salty water would work either.)
Salt water would also probably be illegal based on the faq for the water-addition task from last year
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

TheSquaad wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Salt water would also probably be illegal based on the faq for the water-addition task from last year
What I meant was salt being in the same container as the golf ball, and dissolving.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
chessbucket

Post by chessbucket »

What defines golfball? Does it have to be of a certain shape, mass, volume, etc? Certain golf balls are smaller or wider, and certain ones weigh more/less depending on the company.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chessbucket wrote:What defines golfball? Does it have to be of a certain shape, mass, volume, etc? Certain golf balls are smaller or wider, and certain ones weigh more/less depending on the company.
I believe there's a generally accepted standard on golf ball mass and size limits - something like 4 cm diameter and some mass range equivalent to around 1.2-1.3 g/mL.
Userpage

Return to “Mission Possible C”