Inclined Plane Task

LIPX3
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Inclined Plane Task

Post by LIPX3 »

TheSquaad wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:Would it be legal to have the load mass attached to the inclined plane via a wheel, hanging from the plane? I don't understand why it wouldn't be, and although my knowledge of mechanical advantage isn't the best I believe it has the same IMA. I'm somewhat worried about how event supervisors would view this.
I don’t personally see an issue with this. However, why are you trying to use a hanging wheel at all? A standard inclined plane with the weight sliding on top is far more space efficient.
I believe a hanging wheel set up is more space efficient in some circumstances, such as when (like me) you have a tall but narrow device.
C8H10N4O2!
Been thanked: 0

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

Question on whether this is okay or not...
My mass goes up the ramp and rises more than 10cm vertically before initiating the next action. However, it usually slides a little bit back down (just enough so that it is not 10 vertical centimeters). Since it still rises the full 10 cm before initiating the next action, is this okay as is, or should I find a way to make it stay up?
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Dreamz »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:Question on whether this is okay or not...
My mass goes up the ramp and rises more than 10cm vertically before initiating the next action. However, it usually slides a little bit back down (just enough so that it is not 10 vertical centimeters). Since it still rises the full 10 cm before initiating the next action, is this okay as is, or should I find a way to make it stay up?
This should be okay. Just make sure the ES knows that this will happen before the run.
nateDC
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

Dreamz wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote:Question on whether this is okay or not...
This should be okay. Just make sure the ES knows that this will happen before the run.
If your mass initiates the action AFTER it rises 10 cm, then AFTER it initiates the next action it can slide back down. After it does its thing, it can do anything.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
mrmola

Post by mrmola »

Does the inclined plane have to be straight? Can it be a spiral?
nateDC
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

mrmola wrote:Does the inclined plane have to be straight? Can it be a spiral?
You should be able to show that the IP has an IMA greater than or equal to 2. if you can do that with a spiral, go right ahead!!!
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...

Return to “Mission Possible C”