Pulley Task

cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pulley Task

Post by cuber »

TheSquaad wrote:Would it be legal to have a 3 ima pulley be pulled by a load on a 1/2 ima pulley, since there is one distinct section with an ima of 3?
I’m curious about this as well. If you chained a 1/3 IMA pulley to the 3 IMA pulley, it would nullify the extra distance. Can you lable the 1/3 IMA pulley as a non scoreable transfer? Or would it count as one pulley system?
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Would it be legal to have the 500g weights in a tub of water? We were thinking of using the buoyancy so we need less counterforce
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

cuber wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Would it be legal to have a 3 ima pulley be pulled by a load on a 1/2 ima pulley, since there is one distinct section with an ima of 3?
I’m curious about this as well. If you chained a 1/3 IMA pulley to the 3 IMA pulley, it would nullify the extra distance. Can you lable the 1/3 IMA pulley as a non scoreable transfer? Or would it count as one pulley system?
Personally, I would stay away from that because the rules specify a pulley system, and if I were an ES, I would see the 1/3 IMA section as part of the system.
TheSquaad wrote:Would it be legal to have the 500g weights in a tub of water? We were thinking of using the buoyancy so we need less counterforce
That probably won't do much for it, but you can certainly try. I'd also say I don't think its against the rules.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

CookiePie1 wrote:
cuber wrote:
Personally, I would stay away from that because the rules specify a pulley system, and if I were an ES, I would see the 1/3 IMA section as part of the system.
TheSquaad wrote:Would it be legal to have the 500g weights in a tub of water? We were thinking of using the buoyancy so we need less counterforce
That probably won't do much for it, but you can certainly try. I'd also say I don't think its against the rules.
If we were to use a spring instead of water to lessen the force required, would that also be legal?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

TheSquaad wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
cuber wrote:
If we were to use a spring instead of water to lessen the force required, would that also be legal?
You shouldn't need that much weight to pull the 500 grams up. (500g *IMA of 1/3, since it's reverse = 166.67 grams). Even including friction, you shouldn't need more than 200 grams for a counter-weight unless you're adding some sort of friction that I'm missing.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

PM2017 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:

You shouldn't need that much weight to pull the 500 grams up. (500g *IMA of 1/3, since it's reverse = 166.67 grams). Even including friction, you shouldn't need more than 200 grams for a counter-weight unless you're adding some sort of friction that I'm missing.
We’re trying a different technique that doesn’t require a counterweight, but it has a lot less pull force. That’s why we’re trying to find additional methods to lessen the actual force we need
Chikoo10

Post by Chikoo10 »

Are there any ways to have the pulley system have a height less than 30 cm (35 because of the height of the weight)?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Chikoo10 wrote:Are there any ways to have the pulley system have a height less than 30 cm (35 because of the height of the weight)?
Yes, you don't need to have a falling object.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Chikoo10 wrote:Are there any ways to have the pulley system have a height less than 30 cm (35 because of the height of the weight)?
You can stick a half ima pulley on your counterweight.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

could you also have a ramp for the falling mass to go down that increases the length minimally (about 3 or 4 cm, just to make the 500g mass rise an extra .5 cm)?

Return to “Mission Possible C”