Screw Task

oofboy69
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Screw Task

Post by oofboy69 »

What if the screw doesnt actually move at all, but rotates in place, using its threads to move a platform that it is screwed into more than 2cm?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

oofboy69 wrote:What if the screw doesnt actually move at all, but rotates in place, using its threads to move a platform that it is screwed into more than 2cm?
The rule only requires the object to move 2 cm, not the screw itself.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
oofboy69 wrote:What if the screw doesnt actually move at all, but rotates in place, using its threads to move a platform that it is screwed into more than 2cm?
The rule only requires the object to move 2 cm, not the screw itself.
I know that this was discussed earlier, but a recent FAQ (maybe national clarification) has stated that the screw is NOT the object.
Shr3D
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

Ok so my screw task was like this:

There was a ball being pulled by a string, which was rotated around the screw. The screw rotated when a mass was dropped and rotated the screw... which then roasted the string pulling on the ball... it kinda worked like a pulley yet did what was said in the rules. Although, I went to a competition and there I didn’t get points for it since the screw needs to work like its simple machines definition: it needs to be rotated and then needs to push an object as it rotates.

Hope this helps!
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

C8H10N4O2! wrote: I have a screw holding an object in place on a ledge, the screw rotates (moves less than 2 cm), and the object falls, mostly by force of gravity. It depends on how you explain it, but MIT, my state ES, and Cornell all had no problems with it.
I'm surprised by this.

"clearly rotate a screw at least two full rotations so that it operates as a screw converting rotational force into linear force and moves an object at least 2 cm before that object initiates the next action."

I read that as saying that the object must be moved 2 cm by the linear force provided by the screw. In your example, the object is moved a short distance by the screw action, and then falls. So I don't think it is true to say that your screw "moves an object at least 2 cm".

Return to “Mission Possible C”