Screw Task

jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Screw Task

Post by jinhusong »

Similar stuff here:

A kid uses wire loop to hang a weight on the horizontal screw. When the screw rotates, the wire loop will move to the end of screw and drop to trigger something.

I told him that you may have difficulty to convince the ES that your screw is pushing the wire loop, maybe you can make the wire loop thicker into a something looks like a nut.

Jinhu
Stestra00
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stestra00 »

What do they catagorize as a screw? Is it the simple machine definition, or the standard definition?
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Stestra00 wrote:What do they catagorize as a screw? Is it the simple machine definition, or the standard definition?
I’d guess the simple machine definition, but to be safe, I’d use something that is labeled as a screw by the manufacturer.
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

What I have for my screw task is I have looped a string around the screw twice, have one end attached to a weight pulling down, and another end to an object on a ledge/platform. When the weight falls, it turns to screw and pulls the object off the ledge/platform. Would this work for this task?
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Shr3D wrote:What I have for my screw task is I have looped a string around the screw twice, have one end attached to a weight pulling down, and another end to an object on a ledge/platform. When the weight falls, it turns to screw and pulls the object off the ledge/platform. Would this work for this task?
How exactly are you pulling the object on the platform?
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

Shr3D wrote:What I have for my screw task is I have looped a string around the screw twice, have one end attached to a weight pulling down, and another end to an object on a ledge/platform. When the weight falls, it turns to screw and pulls the object off the ledge/platform. Would this work for this task?
I would wrap the screw more than 2 times... It is a minimum that it turns twice, but the more turns it does, the more predictable, and less exact you need to be (also, it saves you a potential touch)
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:
I would wrap the screw more than 2 times... It is a minimum that it turns twice, but the more turns it does, the more predictable, and less exact you need to be (also, it saves you a potential touch)
Also it needs to move the object 2 cm before trigger next action.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

jinhusong wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote:
But it does, right? It pulls the object off the ledge, which then probably moves more. I dont like this rule because it never says the screw has to directly 'initiate' the next action, which implies that it indirectly can...
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:
jinhusong wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote: I would wrap the screw more than 2 times... It is a minimum that it turns twice, but the more turns it does, the more predictable, and less exact you need to be (also, it saves you a potential touch)
But it does, right? It pulls the object off the ledge, which then probably moves more. I dont like this rule because it never says the screw has to directly 'initiate' the next action, which implies that it indirectly can...
My understanding, the screw has to pull the object 2 cm before the object fell off the ledge.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

jinhusong wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote:
jinhusong wrote:
My understanding, the screw has to pull the object 2 cm before the object fell off the ledge.
I have a screw holding an object in place on a ledge, the screw rotates (moves less than 2 cm), and the object falls, mostly by force of gravity. It depends on how you explain it, but MIT, my state ES, and Cornell all had no problems with it.

Return to “Mission Possible C”