String Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

String Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.xi

I was tempted to call this one the Nichrome Task, because that's basically all there is to it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: String Task

Post by absolutezerok3 »

One challenge that the rules introduced this year was the limited use of electricity to 4 specific tasks. I was wondering if I could repeat this task multiple unique times (without receiving points apart from the first instance)without incurring a penalty for using electricity in non-specified tasks? I have already submitted a FAQ but wanted a quick opinion.

TL;DR: If you repeat this task after its first completion, will it incur a penalty for using electricity(6.d.ii)?
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

absolutezerok3 wrote:One challenge that the rules introduced this year was the limited use of electricity to 4 specific tasks. I was wondering if I could repeat this task multiple unique times (without receiving points apart from the first instance)without incurring a penalty for using electricity in non-specified tasks? I have already submitted a FAQ but wanted a quick opinion.

TL;DR: If you repeat this task after its first completion, will it incur a penalty for using electricity(6.d.ii)?
Per 4.b. scoreable actions are expected to be unique. If you repeated it multiple times, only one would be scoreable, and the others would therefore not be allowed under 3.g.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
absolutezerok3 wrote:One challenge that the rules introduced this year was the limited use of electricity to 4 specific tasks. I was wondering if I could repeat this task multiple unique times (without receiving points apart from the first instance)without incurring a penalty for using electricity in non-specified tasks? I have already submitted a FAQ but wanted a quick opinion.

Per 4.b. scoreable actions are expected to be unique. If you repeated it multiple times, only one would be scoreable, and the others would therefore not be allowed under 3.g.
Oh ok
Since the action is no longer scoreable, it wouldn't be included under the umbrella of score-able action xi, and therefore would incur a penalty for using electricity
Thanks
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
ET2020
State: NY

Post by ET2020 »

Unome wrote:
I was tempted to call this one the Nichrome Task, because that's basically all there is to it.
Is nichrome wire legal? I thought it would be considered an unsafe material by 3.j, even though it's not listed there.
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ET2020 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Is nichrome wire legal? I thought it would be considered an unsafe material by 3.j, even though it's not listed there.
Historically nichrome has been legal and very common in Mission, which is why it was the first thing that came to mind. It's not listed directly or indirectly as far as I can tell.
Userpage

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
ET2020 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Historically nichrome has been legal and very common in Mission, which is why it was the first thing that came to mind. It's not listed directly or indirectly as far as I can tell.
The FAQ last year about controlled vs. uncontrolled flames was very carefully crafted to permit Nichrome wire - I think it's safe to assume it remains legal under 3.j.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how exactly are people planning on using nichrome in the event? Is the idea that it can be heated up through applying current and used to melt/break a fishing line or other string?
LostInTheSauce

Post by LostInTheSauce »

Wabbit wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question, but how exactly are people planning on using nichrome in the event? Is the idea that it can be heated up through applying current and used to melt/break a fishing line or other string?
Yes
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Not what I'm planning on doing, but could the nichrome itself count as the string, and break when heated? (If the wire is thin enough, it breaks upon heating, whichc caused me many headaches last year.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mission Possible C”