String Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: String Task

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:Not what I'm planning on doing, but could the nichrome itself count as the string, and break when heated? (If the wire is thin enough, it breaks upon heating, whichc caused me many headaches last year.)
It sounds like a stretch. Most people would not call nichrome wire a string, so I would be inclined to rule against it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ftf841
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ftf841 »

Would a razor blade attached to a lever be permitted?
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ftf841 wrote:Would a razor blade attached to a lever be permitted?
That depends on whether you can convince the ES that your lever is powered by electricity.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ftf841
State: MD

Post by ftf841 »

Unome wrote:
That depends on whether you can convince the ES that your lever is powered by electricity.
I was mainly worried about it being considered unsafe
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

ftf841 wrote:
Unome wrote:
I was mainly worried about it being considered unsafe
If you are going to try that, I might recommend trying to enclose it somehow so that there is no way the blade could somehow fly out of the device
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
honorstoise

Post by honorstoise »

How long does it take for nichrome wire to break a fishing line or string
absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

honorstoise wrote:How long does it take for nichrome wire to break a fishing line or string
It should be almost instantaneous. Otherwise, you probably don't enough current to sufficiently heat up the wire.
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Hey y'all, so I've been trying to do the nichrome task but connecting it to my IR circuit with a transistor. However, the nichrome wire for some reason isn't heating up despite the large amount (7v) of voltage through it. Is it because of the limited current due to the transistor? How are the rest of you connecting your nichrome without completely draining your battery and other tasks?
absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Hey y'all, so I've been trying to do the nichrome task but connecting it to my IR circuit with a transistor. However, the nichrome wire for some reason isn't heating up despite the large amount (7v) of voltage through it. Is it because of the limited current due to the transistor? How are the rest of you connecting your nichrome without completely draining your battery and other tasks?
Its probably because you dont have enough current passing through. Try using a 9v battery holder, which combines 6 AA batteries (1.5v) to get a lot more
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Hey y'all, so I've been trying to do the nichrome task but connecting it to my IR circuit with a transistor. However, the nichrome wire for some reason isn't heating up despite the large amount (7v) of voltage through it. Is it because of the limited current due to the transistor? How are the rest of you connecting your nichrome without completely draining your battery and other tasks?
I assume that your statement "despite the large amount (7v) of voltage through it" means that you have measured this with a voltmeter across your nichrome wire. What's the cold resistance of your wire? How much current should it need to get it hot?

Return to “Mission Possible C”