Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Start Task

Post by nicholasmaurer »

mjcox2000 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:So somehow the Virginia ES decided to rule a golf ball supported by a container as modified, and will likely maintain the ruling for States.
I was pretty shocked by this interpretation... how is this being ruled elsewhere? And for Nats?
As long as the golf ball can be removed from the device in an intact manner, it should count as unmodified.
My interpretation of the rules -- and, I think, most reasonable interpretations of the rules -- would agree that an intact, easily removable golf ball is unmodified. The Virginia event supervisors and appeals committee disagree, saying that even so much as putting it in a cup is a modification. I don't understand where they're coming from, and they drew no solid line between what they considered "modified" and "unmodified."
Their interpretation makes no sense to me either.... I'd go ahead and submit an FAQ now. In the field that allows for additional information, be sure to state that the Virginia State ES and appeals committee ruled against you.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

Just realize it is about the first task.

Maybe we need more detail?

Jinhu
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
As long as the golf ball can be removed from the device in an intact manner, it should count as unmodified.
My interpretation of the rules -- and, I think, most reasonable interpretations of the rules -- would agree that an intact, easily removable golf ball is unmodified. The Virginia event supervisors and appeals committee disagree, saying that even so much as putting it in a cup is a modification. I don't understand where they're coming from, and they drew no solid line between what they considered "modified" and "unmodified."
Their interpretation makes no sense to me either.... I'd go ahead and submit an FAQ now. In the field that allows for additional information, be sure to state that the Virginia State ES and appeals committee ruled against you.
Hmmm, I'm not really sure if submitting an FAQ will help since it's likely not to be posted publically.
nateDC
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

TheSquaad wrote:
knightmoves wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:We're having some trouble coming up with a reliable way to get the golf ball to move. We tried to use a mousetrap but it was really hard to get it to be reliable. Any ideas?
A ping pong ball weighs 2.7g. If you want your device to respond to the mere presence of the ball, you need to build a balance sensitive to that mass. That's doable, although you'd want to recalibrate it after transportation. If you build something that relies on the momentum carried by the falling ping pong ball, it needs to respond very fast, because the ball bounces.
We're using the force of the ping pong ball to help the golf ball overcome friction. After that, the golf ball's weight is all that's necessary to trigger the next action -- not the additional weight of the ping pong ball. We felt that making something like a balance would be too finicky to be reliable.
In our box we were able to get a pingpong ball to reliably set a mousetrap off to launch a golf ball down a ramp
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
antigem
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by antigem »

@Newbydad your golf tee idea saved me about 3 hours of messing with levers. Thank yall sm
Central Valley High School, WA

2019 events and place at regionals:
Boomilever 4th
Write it Do it 2nd
Mission Possible 2nd
Thermodynamics 2nd
Newbydad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Newbydad »

antigem wrote:@Newbydad your golf tee idea saved me about 3 hours of messing with levers. Thank yall sm
Two Thumbs up and more if I had 'em!! It's been working all season for our team.

Return to “Mission Possible C”