Start Task

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Start Task

Post by nicholasmaurer »

annabelle0308 wrote:If the task says “drop” a ping-pong ball, would doing something more along the lines of throwing it downward into the machine be allowed?
I think if they meant to allow for it to be thrown, they would've said drop or throw.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Newbydad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Newbydad »

We went simple. Drop the ping pong ball down a tube (used caulk tube) hit the edge of the golf ball sitting on a golf tee below the tube. We shaved off part of the tee to make is simpler for the golf ball to roll and to direct which way it rolls. We offset the golf ball to the tube so the ping pong ball hits on the side. The golf ball can then trigger the next step after it rolls off the tee. It seems to work really well, very reliable.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Newbydad wrote:We went simple. Drop the ping pong ball down a tube (used caulk tube) hit the edge of the golf ball sitting on a golf tee below the tube. We shaved off part of the tee to make is simpler for the golf ball to roll and to direct which way it rolls. We offset the golf ball to the tube so the ping pong ball hits on the side. The golf ball can then trigger the next step after it rolls off the tee. It seems to work really well, very reliable.
If the impulse of a ping pong ball is all it takes to start your device, what happens if you accidentally bump your device? What about if the table is not completely flat? I would be concerned that you might accidentally trigger your device to start without meaning to. I have seen this happen a decent number of times at tournaments.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Newbydad

Post by Newbydad »

If the impulse of a ping pong ball is all it takes to start your device, what happens if you accidentally bump your device? What about if the table is not completely flat? I would be concerned that you might accidentally trigger your device to start without meaning to. I have seen this happen a decent number of times at tournaments.
As the name suggests - First time one of my kids has been involved in Science Olympiad. You make a point. I will say in our testing it hasn't been an issue but we may need to re-look at how we start.
cheese
Division: C

Post by cheese »

Newbydad wrote: As the name suggests - First time one of my kids has been involved in Science Olympiad. You make a point. I will say in our testing it hasn't been an issue but we may need to re-look at how we start.
Hey, just a heads up, make sure you aren't too involved if you are a parent. The student should do almost all of the designing, building, and testing with you mainly supervising and potentially helping with power tools (if they are dangerous). Other people may have other opinions on this, but based on the code of ethics, I would say that parent involvement should be at a low.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
Chikoo10

Post by Chikoo10 »

How exactly would someone utilize a mousetrap to complete this task? Any ideas would be really appreciated!!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

Chikoo10 wrote:How exactly would someone utilize a mousetrap to complete this task? Any ideas would be really appreciated!!
You can try and see if a ping pong ball will even set it off, and then build up from there
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA

Post by SluffAndRuff »

So somehow the Virginia ES decided to rule a golf ball supported by a container as modified, and will likely maintain the ruling for States.
I was pretty shocked by this interpretation... how is this being ruled elsewhere? And for Nats?
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

SluffAndRuff wrote:So somehow the Virginia ES decided to rule a golf ball supported by a container as modified, and will likely maintain the ruling for States.
I was pretty shocked by this interpretation... how is this being ruled elsewhere? And for Nats?
As long as the golf ball can be removed from the device in an intact manner, it should count as unmodified.
mjcox2000
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

TheSquaad wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:So somehow the Virginia ES decided to rule a golf ball supported by a container as modified, and will likely maintain the ruling for States.
As long as the golf ball can be removed from the device in an intact manner, it should count as unmodified.
My interpretation of the rules -- and, I think, most reasonable interpretations of the rules -- would agree that an intact, easily removable golf ball is unmodified. The Virginia event supervisors and appeals committee disagree, saying that even so much as putting it in a cup is a modification. I don't understand where they're coming from, and they drew no solid line between what they considered "modified" and "unmodified."
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Return to “Mission Possible C”