End Task

ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: End Task

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Airco2020 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I interpreted it as needing to move 20cm within the box itself. Otherwise it cannot become the highest point AFTER 20cm. It would be the highest point before moving a full 20cm and therefore not count for points (nor technically stop the run time unless it somehow didn't raise 20cm before reaching the top due to some unintentional device failure such as a lever accidentally leaving the top dimension and increasing where the top dimension of the device is).
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. My device moves a total of 21cm. It's currently set up to move about 15 in the box and then about 6 above the box so it's the highest point. The judges didn't give any points for the final action since it didn't move 20cm Before becoming the highest point. So my solution is I need to find a way to lower my platform so it can move 20cm in the box and then that final 1cm travel I have needs to be above the box. Or I need to find a new solution that travels more the 21cm.
Your platform (IMO) needs to move at least 20cm within the measured "box" before becoming the highest point. It doesn't matter if it moves 50 cm in total or 21 cm in total as long as the platform moves 20 vertical cm within the measured device dimensions.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I interpreted it as needing to move 20cm within the box itself. Otherwise it cannot become the highest point AFTER 20cm. It would be the highest point before moving a full 20cm and therefore not count for points (nor technically stop the run time unless it somehow didn't raise 20cm before reaching the top due to some unintentional device failure such as a lever accidentally leaving the top dimension and increasing where the top dimension of the device is).
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. My device moves a total of 21cm. It's currently set up to move about 15 in the box and then about 6 above the box so it's the highest point. The judges didn't give any points for the final action since it didn't move 20cm Before becoming the highest point. So my solution is I need to find a way to lower my platform so it can move 20cm in the box and then that final 1cm travel I have needs to be above the box. Or I need to find a new solution that travels more the 21cm.
Your platform (IMO) needs to move at least 20cm within the measured "box" before becoming the highest point. It doesn't matter if it moves 50 cm in total or 21 cm in total as long as the platform moves 20 vertical cm within the measured device dimensions.
Agreed!
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Airco2020 wrote:
If you need a fast fix, you could always attach a popsicle stick or something to the frame so that the highest point is ~0.5 cm lower than the highest point of your lift. You would lose ~ 5 points, given the values you told us, but it's a pretty good payoff lol.

EDIT: Unless you're already at 60x60x55 or something, in which case it's probably fairly easy to adjust where your lift is. (IDK why you would be at those dimensions anyways.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

PM2017 wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:
If you need a fast fix, you could always attach a popsicle stick or something to the frame so that the highest point is ~0.5 cm lower than the highest point of your lift. You would lose ~ 5 points, given the values you told us, but it's a pretty good payoff lol.

EDIT: Unless you're already at 60x60x55 or something, in which case it's probably fairly easy to adjust where your lift is. (IDK why you would be at those dimensions anyways.)
I know that many of the teams I see at invies have really big devices, almost about to cross dimensions. It doesn't really make sense, especially given the fact that much of the space isn't even used.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

PM2017 wrote:[

Great idea. We can put it right next to the platform so there is no confusion that the platform finishes as the highest point. We currently get 76 of the possible 90 points for size so giving up 5 is OK. I don't want to completely redesign an action that works perfectly. I guess the major frustration is that it's been run twice without question including one 1st place and then was completely regected :evil: .
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Airco2020 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:[

Great idea. We can put it right next to the platform so there is no confusion that the platform finishes as the highest point. We currently get 76 of the possible 90 points for size so giving up 5 is OK. I don't want to completely redesign an action that works perfectly. I guess the major frustration is that it's been run twice without question including one 1st place and then was completely regected :evil: .
Oh, I just had another idea -- you could make this extension removable, and you could ask the event supervisors at the day of what their interpretation of the rule is, and if they are ok with the interpretation that the platform slides a total of 20 cm (regardless of when it crosses the upper boundary) you can remove that popsicle stick, saving 5 points.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
diplodocus
Been thanked: 0

Post by diplodocus »

Hello all! I have a question regarding the platform. It says it has to be the same dimensions on all sides... does this mean the platform is essentially a cube? Or does the same dimension clause only refer to the top surface of the platform?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

diplodocus wrote:Hello all! I have a question regarding the platform. It says it has to be the same dimensions on all sides... does this mean the platform is essentially a cube? Or does the same dimension clause only refer to the top surface of the platform?
Yes, it only refers to the top surface. I used 1 in pine for my platform and haven't had a problem yet.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
diplodocus

Post by diplodocus »

CookiePie1 wrote:
diplodocus wrote:Hello all! I have a question regarding the platform. It says it has to be the same dimensions on all sides... does this mean the platform is essentially a cube? Or does the same dimension clause only refer to the top surface of the platform?
Yes, it only refers to the top surface. I used 1 in pine for my platform and haven't had a problem yet.
Thanks for the answer! I was thrown into this event and I have a week to build a functioning machine (and I have no idea what I'm doing lol)... I have another question then. Is there a limit on the height of the platform then? Would 2 inches tall for the platform be too much?
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

diplodocus wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
Thanks for the answer! I was thrown into this event and I have a week to build a functioning machine (and I have no idea what I'm doing lol)... I have another question then. Is there a limit on the height of the platform then? Would 2 inches tall for the platform be too much?
I don't believe there is a limit on the platform height. As for the 2 inches, it depends on your device. Since you only have a week to build a mission, I assume you won't be limited on space so if you need 2 inches then I'd say go for it. Just remember that your battery & platform travel 20 cm before becoming the top of the device or else it won't count. Good luck!
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

Return to “Mission Possible C”