JohnsonLuu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: End Task

Post by JohnsonLuu »

PM2017 wrote:
JohnsonLuu wrote:
Dreamz wrote:
Scissors jack requires either something pushing the platform up, or something squeezing the X-shaped "legs" together. Gas expanding a syringe might work. Same with a falling weight (although be careful to control speed).
Well for everyone's information, my start task worked and my end task was a catapult that did not work.
how would you use a catapult?
Essentially we ran out of time so we used a pulley to launch something up. It ended up not launching xD
mpnobivucyxtz
Division: C
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

For the platform, we have an exact 6.7cm by 6.7cm platform. However, we glued it to another square below that to attach it to our mechanism. The platform holding the battery is the top one, but looking at it, there are technically two stacked squares of wood. Would this be a problem? We're planning to argue that the top platform is the only one supporting the battery, an nd its the perfect one they should count/measure? The battery won't fall off or touch the platform underneath.
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Dreamz »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:For the platform, we have an exact 6.7cm by 6.7cm platform. However, we glued it to another square below that to attach it to our mechanism. The platform holding the battery is the top one, but looking at it, there are technically two stacked squares of wood. Would this be a problem? We're planning to argue that the top platform is the only one supporting the battery, an nd its the perfect one they should count/measure? The battery won't fall off or touch the platform underneath.
Our machine has a similar design and we've brought it to many competitions. As long as your square below the platform is smaller than the platform in both length and width, I don't think it should be a problem. Certainly helps get the battery out of the box for sure!
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Dreamz wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:For the platform, we have an exact 6.7cm by 6.7cm platform. However, we glued it to another square below that to attach it to our mechanism. The platform holding the battery is the top one, but looking at it, there are technically two stacked squares of wood. Would this be a problem? We're planning to argue that the top platform is the only one supporting the battery, an nd its the perfect one they should count/measure? The battery won't fall off or touch the platform underneath.
Our machine has a similar design and we've brought it to many competitions. As long as your square below the platform is smaller than the platform in both length and width, I don't think it should be a problem. Certainly helps get the battery out of the box for sure!
ah yeah that's the problem, the platform below is slightly bigger (like 0.3 cm bigger). Do you think that becomes an issue?
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
Dreamz wrote:
ah yeah that's the problem, the platform below is slightly bigger (like 0.3 cm bigger). Do you think that becomes an issue?
I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

LIPX3 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
Dreamz wrote: Our machine has a similar design and we've brought it to many competitions. As long as your square below the platform is smaller than the platform in both length and width, I don't think it should be a problem. Certainly helps get the battery out of the box for sure!
I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.
I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Dreamz

Post by Dreamz »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?
Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

Dreamz wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote: I believe this would. However, it is not very much work at all to make them the same size. You could do it with a a table saw in under a minute.
Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.
I agree in that it shouldn't be an issue, however its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with. If there's ever a point in Mission where an event supervisor could find an issue and you can easily fix it, I don't see why you wouldn't.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

LIPX3 wrote:
Dreamz wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I don't see why this is an issue. From my perspective the platform itself is the surface that the battery touches. Am I missing something?
I agree in that it shouldn't be an issue, however its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with. If there's ever a point in Mission where an event supervisor could find an issue and you can easily fix it, I don't see why you wouldn't.
I don't see where they would have a problem. Can you clarify what you mean by "its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with."
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

PM2017 wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:
Dreamz wrote: Yes it technically is legal. Since the box below the platform is under 10cm wide in this case, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were larger than 10cm though.... My gut tells me that arguing it with an ES wouldn't be the best idea.
I don't see where they would have a problem. Can you clarify what you mean by "its a point where an event supervisor could find issue with."
I think ES's tend to get a bad rap, especially on these forums. Don't worry, for the most part they are very reasonable, and if you do need to argue with an ES, they usually take it very well and are fair about it. For something like the size of the platform, as long as the part that touches the battery is square and between 5 and 10 cm, you're fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Mission Possible C”