End Task

C8H10N4O2!
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: October 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm
State: -

Re: End Task

Postby C8H10N4O2! » November 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Does the actual part of the device that lifts the platform have to be free-standing, or can it be guided?
I'm doing a scissor lift, and its not going as straight up as I would like. Can I have a small wall put in to help guide the lift part up if it never touches the platform or the battery?

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA

Re: End Task

Postby TheSquaad » November 16th, 2018, 4:33 am

C8H10N4O2! wrote:Does the actual part of the device that lifts the platform have to be free-standing, or can it be guided?
I'm doing a scissor lift, and its not going as straight up as I would like. Can I have a small wall put in to help guide the lift part up if it never touches the platform or the battery?


From what I read, your lifting mechanism does not have to be freestanding. We’re planning on using rails to guide the superstructure under the platform.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: End Task

Postby PM2017 » November 25th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

Does standard include rechargeable 9v batteries? My rechargeable 9V battery seems to be lighter than my nondischargeable 9v batteries.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. We’ve still got further to go.” – Tom Brady

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: End Task

Postby CookiePie1 » November 25th, 2018, 7:14 pm

PM2017 wrote:I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

Does standard include rechargeable 9v batteries? My rechargeable 9V battery seems to be lighter than my nondischargeable 9v batteries.


Personally, I'd say they are standard, but maybe you should submit an FAQ.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA

Re: End Task

Postby TheSquaad » November 26th, 2018, 6:28 am

PM2017 wrote:I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

Does standard include rechargeable 9v batteries? My rechargeable 9V battery seems to be lighter than my nondischargeable 9v batteries.


I'd go with the heavier batteries either way. They're less likely to fall.

annabelle0308
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: October 8th, 2018, 11:58 am
State: -

Re: End Task

Postby annabelle0308 » November 29th, 2018, 4:57 pm

The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: End Task

Postby PM2017 » November 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm

annabelle0308 wrote:The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?

I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. We’ve still got further to go.” – Tom Brady

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: End Task

Postby bearasauras » December 13th, 2018, 12:44 am

PM2017 wrote:
annabelle0308 wrote:The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?

I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.


I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 555
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH

Re: End Task

Postby ScottMaurer19 » December 13th, 2018, 4:36 am

bearasauras wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
annabelle0308 wrote:The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?

I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.


I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?

Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 125

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1238
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: End Task

Postby windu34 » December 13th, 2018, 7:38 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
PM2017 wrote:I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.


I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?


Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions

This is by no means official nor does it represent the opinion of any of the organizations that I represent. That said:
I am not so sure these interpretations are correct. 3.c. is stating that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points". I would argue that as long as the team intends to complete the Final Action as shown by the ASL, then they would earn points for all the tasks even if the final task didn't work for some reason. However, if they didnt even "attempt" the final task in their device, then I can see how the argument could be made to not award any points for any of the preceding tasks.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 555
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH

Re: End Task

Postby ScottMaurer19 » December 13th, 2018, 10:21 am

windu34 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?


Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions

This is by no means official nor does it represent the opinion of any of the organizations that I represent. That said:
I am not so sure these interpretations are correct. 3.c. is stating that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points". I would argue that as long as the team intends to complete the Final Action as shown by the ASL, then they would earn points for all the tasks even if the final task didn't work for some reason. However, if they didnt even "attempt" the final task in their device, then I can see how the argument could be made to not award any points for any of the preceding tasks.

That's what I was trying to say. If there is no action that attempts the final action then all other actions receive zero points. If a team attempts but fails then they would.
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 125

antigem
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 3:00 pm
Division: C
State: WA

Re: End Task

Postby antigem » December 27th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Is there anything in a snap circuits kit that would help? I was looking at a kit with a motor, but it was to power a fan and I don't think that it would have enough power to lift a scissor lift
Clods!

she/her or they/them pronouns please

2018 events I'm in:
Game On 1st place
Write it Do it 3rd place
Mission Possible 2nd place
Thermodynamics 4th place

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: End Task

Postby CookiePie1 » December 29th, 2018, 2:12 pm

antigem wrote:Is there anything in a snap circuits kit that would help? I was looking at a kit with a motor, but it was to power a fan and I don't think that it would have enough power to lift a scissor lift


it could definitely power it if the scissor lift was light and relatively smooth on the joints.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MgEHS22
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: December 1st, 2018, 7:57 pm

Re: End Task

Postby MgEHS22 » January 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm

When it says before it becomes the highest point of the device, does that include a pulley that pulls the platform up?

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: End Task

Postby PM2017 » January 11th, 2019, 9:11 pm

MgEHS22 wrote:When it says before it becomes the highest point of the device, does that include a pulley that pulls the platform up?

Yes, it does. An easy solution is to have a superstructure under the platform, that has a point at which the string attaches. this point could be below the the pulley, while the attached platform itself is above.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. We’ve still got further to go.” – Tom Brady


Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest