Event Supervising

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Event Supervising

Post by windu34 »

Just wanted to share this video on supervising Mission.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Flavorflav
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by Flavorflav »

Just ran regional yesterday with an impound, and I honestly have no idea how anyone does it without an impound unless the competition is tiny. One of my assistants had run a fairly large invitational without impound, and he said it was a nightmare. If a lot of teams use their thirty minute setup (and all the good ones do), that only leaves you twenty minutes to run the whole block. Sure, some are over in a second, but quite a few run the full three minutes and sometimes you have to go to video to make a call. Four decent devices is about the max you can count on doing in twenty minutes in my experience.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Flavorflav wrote:Just ran regional yesterday with an impound, and I honestly have no idea how anyone does it without an impound unless the competition is tiny. One of my assistants had run a fairly large invitational without impound, and he said it was a nightmare. If a lot of teams use their thirty minute setup (and all the good ones do), that only leaves you twenty minutes to run the whole block. Sure, some are over in a second, but quite a few run the full three minutes and sometimes you have to go to video to make a call. Four decent devices is about the max you can count on doing in twenty minutes in my experience.
How does having an impound help with this though?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

PM2017 wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Just ran regional yesterday with an impound, and I honestly have no idea how anyone does it without an impound unless the competition is tiny. One of my assistants had run a fairly large invitational without impound, and he said it was a nightmare. If a lot of teams use their thirty minute setup (and all the good ones do), that only leaves you twenty minutes to run the whole block. Sure, some are over in a second, but quite a few run the full three minutes and sometimes you have to go to video to make a call. Four decent devices is about the max you can count on doing in twenty minutes in my experience.
Theoretically you can do size measurements as well as general check-in then as opposed to when people should be testing.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

TheSquaad wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Theoretically you can do size measurements as well as general check-in then as opposed to when people should be testing.
Right. You can do some of the ASL checks, safety check, battery check etc. Plus, not impounding is also really unfair to the teams who run early. One year we had an invitational that didn't impound so I signed up for the last slot, and my Mission guy spent about four hours fixing problems with his device between his other events. He even sent his father out to buy a part that he needed. Not impounding was probably worth 150 points for him that day.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Speaking of safety checks, can we talk about lead? I had two devices that used lead weights, and given the wording of 3j I had to consider them to have violated the safety clause in 2c, which means participation only. Does that strike anyone else as unnecessarily harsh?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

We avoid this scheduling problem by putting people into 15 minutes blocks at the Solon HS invitational.

The simplest reason to not do impound until State Tournaments is because the rules say not to...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
We avoid this scheduling problem by putting people into 15 minutes blocks at the Solon HS invitational.

The simplest reason to not do impound until State Tournaments is because the rules say not to...
One team per block? That could accommodate at most thirty teams if you give supervisors a lunch break, and since you'd virtually always have more than one thing going on at a time you would need a minimum of five supervisors. I don't think you can do a decent job of judging a complicated device with less than four pairs of eyes, and you need another person to be watching the team setting up, and you are giving a huge advantage to the later teams as I suggested above.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Flavorflav wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

One team per block? That could accommodate at most thirty teams if you give supervisors a lunch break, and since you'd virtually always have more than one thing going on at a time you would need a minimum of five supervisors. I don't think you can do a decent job of judging a complicated device with less than four pairs of eyes, and you need another person to be watching the team setting up, and you are giving a huge advantage to the later teams as I suggested above.
Something I found crucial when running MIT Mission was having many judging tables. I honestly think you need at least N-2 judging tables (N = # of teams per block) and ideally N tables because of the 30 minute setup. I found only having 3 supervisors sufficient. We had 4-5 volunteers that we would call over whenever one of us was judging a device and needed someone to time. Sure, there were mistakes made that would not have occurred if all 3 ESes looked at every device, but I think thats the reality of judging mission.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Flavorflav wrote:Speaking of safety checks, can we talk about lead? I had two devices that used lead weights, and given the wording of 3j I had to consider them to have violated the safety clause in 2c, which means participation only. Does that strike anyone else as unnecessarily harsh?
3j explicitly calls out lead as not being permitted. There's no judgement call here at all - lead is not allowed. I'd think you could allow the teams to remove their lead safely and compete without it under 2c - but what counts as "remove it safely" is an ES judgement call.

Tungsten weights are readily available - there's no need for anyone to be handling lead.

Return to “Mission Possible C”