Allowed use of Mouse trap?

Nagooyen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Allowed use of Mouse trap?

Post by Nagooyen »

3f. says we can set mousetraps prior to starting device, but then 3j. said "rat traps" arent alllowed. Can someone clarify whether we can use mousetraos or not?
chessbucket

Re: Allowed use of Mouse trap?

Post by chessbucket »

Nagooyen wrote:3f. says we can set mousetraps prior to starting device, but then 3j. said "rat traps" aren't allowed. Can someone clarify whether we can use mousetraps or not?
I'm pretty sure they mean you can use mousetraps. I can see your confusion since mousetrap and rat traps basically describe each other. However, they are indeed separate products. Google each of them and you'll see the difference.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

chessbucket wrote:
Nagooyen wrote:3f. says we can set mousetraps prior to starting device, but then 3j. said "rat traps" aren't allowed. Can someone clarify whether we can use mousetraps or not?
I'm pretty sure they mean you can use mousetraps. I can see your confusion since mousetrap and rat traps basically describe each other. However, they are indeed separate products. Google each of them and you'll see the difference.
Main difference here is that rat traps are significantly stronger and therefore more dangerous than mousetraps. Rats are larger hence stronger traps are needed. If you are concerned about your mousetraps being seen as rat traps, I would recommend bringing the packaging or pictures of it to competition in case the supervisor questions it.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
petal

Post by petal »

Given that we are allowed to use mousetraps and that certain mousetraps can go off somewhat easily from vibrations, is there a way to alter a mousetrap to make it less likely to snap on accident? Or are there specific brands/types of mousetraps that would be more consistent? I am just a bit curious as I am not sure how to effectively incorporate one into a mission device/don’t even know if that would be a good idea.
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

petal wrote:Given that we are allowed to use mousetraps and that certain mousetraps can go off somewhat easily from vibrations, is there a way to alter a mousetrap to make it less likely to snap on accident? Or are there specific brands/types of mousetraps that would be more consistent? I am just a bit curious as I am not sure how to effectively incorporate one into a mission device/don’t even know if that would be a good idea.
I did mousetrap car last year, and we used https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Original- ... =mousetrap.

Never had trouble with them accidentally going off (and we did walk down hallways holding it while the car was set). I can't imagine a situation where your device is vibrating to the point where it actually sets off a mousetrap - mousetrap manufacturers probably design their traps so it takes some pressure to set it off.

Return to “Mission Possible C”