Mousetrap Vehicle C

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby windu34 » June 30th, 2018, 9:50 am

Mousetrap Vehicle C: Teams design, build and test a vehicle using one or two snap mousetraps as its sole means of propulsion to push a paper cup forward, reverse direction, and stop as close as possible to a target point.

Mousetrap Vehicle Wiki

Mousetrap Vehicle Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2018
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

Things2do
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby Things2do » September 3rd, 2018, 8:35 pm

The Rules are harsh difficult strenuous strange this year.
That second trap might be too much power for the track.
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 3rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm

Additionally, 5.b and 5.i. read together seem to imply that a vehicle that is ready to run at 7:59 would be allowed to complete said run, but that it would be marked as a failed run if it took longer than the remaining second. This would be a notable change from past years, although it may be unintentional...

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » September 4th, 2018, 4:53 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...

I'm pretty sure it means volume, since 3 oz is 85 g, which would be unreasonably heavy for a paper cup.

There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 4th, 2018, 5:44 am

antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...

I'm pretty sure it means volume, since 3 oz is 85 g, which would be unreasonably heavy for a paper cup.

Agreed. However, without an FAQ (or rule clarification changing it to fl oz.), I would rule in favor of an ES who used a cup of any volume that weighed 3oz OR a cup with a 3oz volume.

To be fair, last year's rules had the same ambiguity, but it was less concerning because it would be incredibly difficult to find a plastic cup weighing 16oz...
Last edited by nicholasmaurer on September 4th, 2018, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 4th, 2018, 5:49 am

antoine_ego wrote:There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?

I would refer you to the track diagram here which is incorporated as part of the rules per 6.a.
Last edited by bernard on September 23rd, 2018, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » September 4th, 2018, 5:58 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?

I would refer you to the track diagram here which is incorporated as part of the rules per 6.a.

I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 4th, 2018, 6:04 am

antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)

You're right - that is last year's diagram. I expect the new one will be out very soon and should clarify the measurements. It's hard to visualize/interpret without a diagram.

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 4th, 2018, 7:30 am

It sounded like volume to me too. It would be hard to find a 3oz weight paper cup, and the ES couldn't put anything in it since it's upside down.

What does the sponsorship of the event by Lockheed Martin do for the event?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 4th, 2018, 8:30 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

You're right - that is last year's diagram. I expect the new one will be out very soon and should clarify the measurements. It's hard to visualize/interpret without a diagram.

From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

terence.tan
State: NY

Postby terence.tan » September 4th, 2018, 9:33 am

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".

In that case how will the wing nut mechanism work?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, WIDI

absolutezerok3
State: MI

Postby absolutezerok3 » September 4th, 2018, 6:02 pm

terence.tan wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

I was thinking of using a one sided wing nut

This is my interpretation of the new track:
1|states MTV

Disease Detectives| Mousetrap Vehicle | Circuit Lab | Mission Possible |Boomilever.

5 years and counting!!

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 4th, 2018, 6:17 pm

absolutezerok3 wrote:This is my interpretation of the new track:

That's about what I was thinking. If only they would update this so we would know for sure.

terence.tan
State: NY

Postby terence.tan » September 4th, 2018, 6:30 pm

absolutezerok3 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Unome wrote:From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".

I was thinking of using a one sided wing nut

This is my interpretation of the new track:

what would be different about the one sided wing nut as to the normal setup. Because with the normal setup the mtv can only stop at its original spot or a spot behind the start point. How would we get the mtv to stop ahead of the start point?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, WIDI

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”