Mousetrap Vehicle C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by windu34 »

Mousetrap Vehicle C: Teams design, build and test a vehicle using one or two snap mousetraps as its sole means of propulsion to push a paper cup forward, reverse direction, and stop as close as possible to a target point.

Mousetrap Vehicle Wiki

Mousetrap Vehicle Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Things2do »

The Rules are harsh difficult strenuous strange this year.
That second trap might be too much power for the track.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Additionally, 5.b and 5.i. read together seem to imply that a vehicle that is ready to run at 7:59 would be allowed to complete said run, but that it would be marked as a failed run if it took longer than the remaining second. This would be a notable change from past years, although it may be unintentional...

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

nicholasmaurer wrote:Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...
I'm pretty sure it means volume, since 3 oz is 85 g, which would be unreasonably heavy for a paper cup.

There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...
I'm pretty sure it means volume, since 3 oz is 85 g, which would be unreasonably heavy for a paper cup.
Agreed. However, without an FAQ (or rule clarification changing it to fl oz.), I would rule in favor of an ES who used a cup of any volume that weighed 3oz OR a cup with a 3oz volume.

To be fair, last year's rules had the same ambiguity, but it was less concerning because it would be incredibly difficult to find a plastic cup weighing 16oz...
Last edited by nicholasmaurer on September 4th, 2018, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

antoine_ego wrote:There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?
I would refer you to the track diagram here which is incorporated as part of the rules per 6.a.
Last edited by bernard on September 23rd, 2018, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:There's some ambiguity in the placement of the VTP. It states that the VTP is between the SP and the CTP, but it doesn't state measured from which point. For example, if the VTP distance was 1.00m, it could be 1.00 m from the SP (which seems pretty difficult), or 1.00m from the CTP (a lot easier). Am I missing something?
I would refer you to the track diagram here which is incorporated as part of the rules per 6.a.
I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)
You're right - that is last year's diagram. I expect the new one will be out very soon and should clarify the measurements. It's hard to visualize/interpret without a diagram.

Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

It sounded like volume to me too. It would be hard to find a 3oz weight paper cup, and the ES couldn't put anything in it since it's upside down.

What does the sponsorship of the event by Lockheed Martin do for the event?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”